First brew - sorry for so many ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
O.K., my can of extract calls for 1 kilo of sugar. 1 kilo = 2.2 pounds. there are 2.25 cups in a pound. 2.2*2.25=4.95 cups. can i just round up to 5 cups or does the measurement need to be exact?

It is certainly close enough. What can kit are you brewing? Might I suggest going with DME instead of sugar for a more full flavored brew?

Some cans are balanced out, but I'll third the DME. If you're really paranoid, use pure corn sugar and DME, half and half.

the instructions said granulated sugar so that's what i put in. problems i should expect?

the instructions said granulated sugar so that's what i put in. problems i should expect?
It should be OK. Granulated sugar is highly fermentable, so when you use it in a beer you get a lot of alcohol, and very little flavor. Too much granulated sugar can lead to a very thin-tasting beer, sometimes with harsh alcohol flavors and a slightly unpleasant cidery taste. A little bit is generally OK, but most people either use it in very small amounts, or else not at all.

If you use alternative sugars, such as dried malt extract or liquid malt extract (DME or LME), then you generally get a fuller flavor and a more rounded final product. That's because the yeast can't digest all the sugar in LME or DME, so some sugar is leftover when fermentation has finished. So as well as contributing the alcohol you want in a beer, you also get a pleasant taste, and a more substantial mouthfeel, from the remaining sugars. DME and LME are generally more expensive than sugar, but they give a better final product, which is why a lot of people use them.

Latest posts

Back