First brew...so far, so good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewish

Reaction score
New brewer here, just brewed my first batch yesterday and all seemed to go well. Quick report...

I spent a couple of evenings late last week prepping my equipment. I had to run my SP-10 burner for a while to burn off some paint, I boiled water in my 10 gal aluminum kettle to build a layer of aluminum oxide, and I cleaned and soaked my immersion chiller in diluted white vinegar to make it all shiny. Then it was finally time to brew!

I made an American Amber Ale extract kit from MoreBeer. The process was pretty uneventful with no major screw ups as far as I can tell. I'm sure the brew day will get a little more efficient now that I have done it once.

I racked it into my 6 gallon plastic carboy with my auto siphon (seemed easier than pouring from a ten gallon pot into a funnel) and took a gravity reading. The sample tasted pretty decent!

It came in at 1.060 instead of the expected 1.051-1.054, but after reading the reviews on the kit, it seems like that happens to a lot of people. I then swirled and shook the carboy for a while before pitching a packet of Safale US-05 that I had rehydrated in 4 oz of water that I had boiled and cooled to 88 degrees. Popped on an airlock and put it in a dark closet in my garage that stays at 63-68 degrees this time of year.

No activity last night, but I checked this morning and the airlock was bubbling softly about once every second, so fermentation started somewhere between 10-18 hours after pitching. It's bubbling just a little faster tonight, and the yeasties are definitely churning away in there. The fermometer says 65 degrees. I think the cool temperature is creating a nice, slow fermentation.

Waiting is the hardest part, but I have a few more beer bottles to empty and clean before bottling day in about three weeks!

Nice work.... Welcome to the addiction

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

I just made my wort chiller. I'm curious about what you did, you just dipped it in diluted while vinegar?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

65F is a great ferment temp for ales. Was that from the temp strip on the fermenter,or ambient air temp? I've also found that temps like that help prevent the need for blow offs,as the initial fermentation isn't quite as violent.

I just made my wort chiller. I'm curious about what you did, you just dipped it in diluted while vinegar?

I cleaned my chiller with soap and water, rinsed well, then I put it in my (clean) bottling bucket. I covered it with a solution of about 1/4 distilled white vinegar and 3/4 tap water. Left it overnight, rinsed, and dried. I'm pretty sure I saw this on several threads here, and I know there's a YouTube video about it.

65F is a great ferment temp for ales. Was that from the temp strip on the fermenter,or ambient air temp? I've also found that temps like that help prevent the need for blow offs,as the initial fermentation isn't quite as violent.

The temp strip had 64 and 66 lit up evenly, so I assume that means 65? Ambient air temp is about in that range too. I have a digital wireless thermometer and that's what it's reading right now.

I thought about a blowoff tube, but I don't have the right stuff for it yet. What stopper and tubing do people use to rig one up on a plastic carboy?

Also forgot to mention that I dried my steeping grains in the oven and am looking forward to making some spent grain bread when I have a chance!

You could get a stopper that fits a half inch diameter tube,or a tube that fits the openning of the carboy or BB. Like an inch or so. I have that orange cap on my 6G BB that fits a 3.8" tube or airlock.

Back