First brew session w/pics..& with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
IMG_1008.jpgBrew day was yesterday (Irish Draought Ale), had an awesome time. Was my first brew ever and will be many more to be had. Think i did everything i was suppose do or at min. the best i could with the experiance i had. Gravity came out a bit low, OG was 1.045 and i got 1.041 so will see how she turns out. Yeast was very active this morning, had to swap out the airlock to a blow off. Now the crauzen has settled im getting alot less bubbles, hopefully it still turns out okay. Should i leave the blow off tube on till the primary is finished or swap back to the airlock?

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,039
Just took the pic, this is after 24 hours or fermentaion...crauzen as settled quite a bit. This morning it was nuts, it actually filled up the airlock so i had to go blow off.

IMG_1009.jpg

Seriously? That is some pretty nice equipment for your first brew. I know I started with a some beat up kitchen stuff. It's really cool to watch it work for the first time. Don't let it consume you. You should still probably go to work. If necessary set up a web camera so you can monitor it from there. It looks good from here. Good luck. Welcome to the addiction, uh obsession, er hobby. :mug:

Looks great!

That said, all I have to add is that that is one seriously LARGE blowoff tube!! LOL I just have the kind that are the outer diameter to fit in the standard drilled stopper. Never seen anything that large before. *cue funk music*

Holy crap, did you buy a Brinkman pot for your first beer? If so, you've already got the bug bad. Welcome.

Everything else looks great to me.

I agree with the others - looks great. I use a blowoff tube for all primaries; I put it on right after I pitch the yeast. You can leave it on for about a week or so afterwards, then put an airlock on.

What temp were you at when you were cooling, seeing as the thermometer probe was out of the wort? :)

I agree with the others - looks great. I use a blowoff tube for all primaries; I put it on right after I pitch the yeast. You can leave it on for about a week or so afterwards, then put an airlock on.

What temp were you at when you were cooling, seeing as the thermometer probe was out of the wort? :)

Thanks. The chiller I made cooled it to about 85 in 13 min. I then poured the wort into the carboy and pitched at 78.. Had to use the thermometer that came with the starter kit, which I kinda figured I would as I was pouring my water in the pot:( cause it didn't even come close to touching the probe. Once I do all grain it should be the perfect pot though.

Holy crap, did you buy a Brinkman pot for your first beer? If so, you've already got the bug bad. Welcome.

Everything else looks great to me.

Lol...no, just the hardware is blichmann.. The burner is a blichmann though and sure glad I spent the extra cash cause I can't even hear the thing run, thing runs like a champ. As a newbie I can recommend one thing, if ya have the cash to spend on new equipment don't hesitate to buy a blichmann burner. Well worth the money.

I just saw my Brinkman/Blichmann goof, heh.

Either way, that's a pretty nice set of equipment to start with. That pot and especially the related fittings should do you well into all grain as your perversion into a homebrewer progresses.

Resistance is futile.

DUDE!!! You have a massive pot and a wort chiller?????!!!! GO FULL BOIL:rockin:

Seriously, you have the equipment and setup, I'd consider doing a full wort boil from here on out. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't do a full boil (yet) due to pot size limitations and lack of a chiller, but I hear its a world of difference.

Looks great!

That said, all I have to add is that that is one seriously LARGE blowoff tube!! LOL I just have the kind that are the outer diameter to fit in the standard drilled stopper. Never seen anything that large before. *cue funk music*

LOL...Got that blow off with the kit from northern brewer, its big enough to just fit tightly inside the carboy. Eliminates the bung and small tube i guess.

Thats crazy to spend that money for you first brew but I would have done the same if I had the money. Used the MILs canning pot for the first one lol. There is absolutely no reason to do a partial boil when you have the capacity to do full. Too late now but next time, full boil...

Welcome to the insanity. It only gets better (or worse if looking in from SWMBO perspective).

Just a little update after day 2 of fermentation, after going from it spitting out beer from the airlock now I have very little activity. The crauzen has subsided and I'm getting a bubble into my sanitized water from the blow off tube about 1 bubble every min or so. I think after day 5 and once I get some more sanitizer I will swap the blow off out and put the airlock back on. Suggestions about that?

Thanks for all the comments and help along the way, sure nice to be a part of this site:)

I swap out the blow off tube as early as possible. As soon as I see no visible signs of kraüsen exiting the carboy then I'll put in an airlock. That's usually 2-3 days after pitching yeast.

I like to not have to work too hard to keep gear clean and I find if I leave the blow off tube on too long the line gets crusty on the inside and much harder to clean.

Just a side question: Why are you necessarily waiting to get more sanitizer before you put the airlock in? You can use vodka or boiled cooled water in the airlock as well. I have even been known to live dangerously and put tap water in the airlock. :O

I swap out the blow off tube as early as possible. As soon as I see no visible signs of kraüsen exiting the carboy then I'll put in an airlock. That's usually 2-3 days after pitching yeast.

I like to not have to work too hard to keep gear clean and I find if I leave the blow off tube on too long the line gets crusty on the inside and much harder to clean.

Just a side question: Why are you necessarily waiting to get more sanitizer before you put the airlock in? You can use vodka or boiled cooled water in the airlock as well. I have even been known to live dangerously and put tap water in the airlock. :O

:) Thanks bud, just got some vodka and boling water as we speak. What a great site, sooooo helpful:)

Just bolied the water to sanitize the bung and airlock, put vodka in the airlock and put it back on the carboy. Back to normal:)

Holding a good temp as well i believe. Still not quite sure if im going to secondary it or not, would have to buy another carboy if i decide to do that. Will post more pics along the way, if i secondary, and the bottling. Im set up to keg but wanna give the bottles a try since i have over 100 anyway, might as well use them.

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Now comes the hard part, the waiting. Since this is your first batch I would reccomend you keg it. That way you don't have to wait another three weeks for the bottles to carb.

bluemoose said:
Seriously? That is some pretty nice equipment for your first brew. I know I started with a some beat up kitchen stuff. It's really cool to watch it work for the first time. Don't let it consume you. You should still probably go to work. If necessary set up a web camera so you can monitor it from there. It looks good from here. Good luck. Welcome to the addiction, uh obsession, er hobby. :mug:

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

Im a firm believer in just buying the good stuff right away instead of buying it twice or maybe even 3 times. It took a little time to get all the stuff put together, just because i wanted to make sure i knew what i was doing in getting everything i needed for the potential of all grain brewing.

Im a firm believer in just buying the good stuff right away instead of buying it twice or maybe even 3 times. It took a little time to get all the stuff put together, just because i wanted to make sure i knew what i was doing in getting everything i needed for the potential of all grain brewing.

Well, I should say that I bought it 3 times and that just means I can run 3 batches at the same time :D

Still, the good stuff is quite shiny.

Just bolied the water to sanitize the bung and airlock, put vodka in the airlock and put it back on the carboy. Back to normal:)

Holding a good temp as well i believe. Still not quite sure if im going to secondary it or not, would have to buy another carboy if i decide to do that. Will post more pics along the way, if i secondary, and the bottling. Im set up to keg but wanna give the bottles a try since i have over 100 anyway, might as well use them.

Wow, your first batch with really nice equipment AND you're already set to keg? I guess you were looking for a hobby to spend that extra cash; good thing you found homebrewing.

Like others have said, I would keg so you don't have to wait for the bottles to carb up (which can take >3 wks, in some cases). Plus, if you really want to bottle, just make a DIY beer gun to fill bottles from your keg. Personally, I keg and bottle and am really starting to hate bottling now that I've seen the light.

If you do decide to bottle, start planning/making your next batch now because you'll have a while to wait between batches.

Just a quick update, its now day 6 of fermentation and getting a bubble in the airlock once about every 3 min or so....yes i was bored so i timed it...lol

Since im still new to the hobby im going single stage this one in the primary for about a month, then condition it in bottles till late aug and enjoy early sept at a wedding. Maybe next batch will try seconday fermantion and see if theres any noticible taste, clearity difference. Thanks for bearing with me and hope ya enjoy reading.

Any suggestions just how long i should primary would be great, just figured a good month would work. Thanks again:)

Don't boil plastic. Most plasics can't tolerate temps that hot. I'm surprised your airlock didn't deform.

Sanitization should be done with starsan and a spray bottle (from home depot).

Don't bother with secondary. Not now. Get a good bug free beer on this first one. Secondaries are only necessary for fruit beers and long-term storage of beers like sours.

Get as many carboys as you can (I greatly prefer better bottles). You'll see why soon enough.

Don't boil plastic. Most plasics can't tolerate temps that hot. I'm surprised your airlock didn't deform.

Sanitization should be done with starsan and a spray bottle (from home depot).

Don't bother with secondary. Not now. Get a good bug free beer on this first one. Secondaries are only necessary for fruit beers and long-term storage of beers like sours.

Get as many carboys as you can (I greatly prefer better bottles). You'll see why soon enough.

I kept it moving in the boil maybe that helped a bit, ,made sure it wasnt on the bottom during the boil...next time will be sure to have more sanitizer on hand at all times though...

poislb said:
I kept it moving in the boil maybe that helped a bit, ,made sure it wasnt on the bottom during the boil...next time will be surede to have more sanitizer on hand at all times though...

For sure go for the 20 dollar bottle of starsan. That stuff is awesome and will last forever... Well at least a year or so.

Update: Day 11 and active fermentation as come to an end. Now i guess i will keep it in the primary for another month, cold crash it then bottle:)

Quick question, should i take a gravity reading now or just wait? Wish i could actually see the top of the beer to make sure its all good, sides look great but the crauzen wentt nuts and left a crusty film on the top of the carboy preventing me from seeing the top of the beer. Thanks for any advice:)

You can certainly take a reading, but if your planning on keeping it in the primary for another month, I don't see a reason why'd you need to.

4 weeks in the primary should be all ya need. After that cold crash it for a couple days
then carb it up.

Quick question, should i take a gravity reading now or just wait? Wish i could actually see the top of the beer to make sure its all good, sides look great but the crauzen wentt nuts and left a crusty film on the top of the carboy preventing me from seeing the top of the beer. Thanks for any advice:)

I often end up in this situation and the only reason for me to take a reading is to do a rough abv calculation. I leave my stuff in primary long enough that I know they're done fermenting. No question. Always fun to sample, too.

Hey! you can't ferment next to that stuffed animal...It will give the beer a gamey taste..Haha

That's one heck of a blow off tube! What's your occupation, fireman?

You got superb equipment for a first time brewer or for anybody for that matter. Have fun.

drooling over the equipment.... I've been doing this for about a half year. Been doing all grain for a little while now. How big is that pot? You are not filling it up very much. If you are doing a partial boil, at least go full boil! I also recommend, just skipping to all grain!

The beer looks great! Normally that's the part I drool over, but your equipment is what I am really drooling over! Good luck to ya!

drooling over the equipment.... I've been doing this for about a half year. Been doing all grain for a little while now. How big is that pot? You are not filling it up very much. If you are doing a partial boil, at least go full boil! I also recommend, just skipping to all grain!

The beer looks great! Normally that's the part I drool over, but your equipment is what I am really drooling over! Good luck to ya!

Thanks, got 2 extracts under my belt now and doing a Caribou slobber all grain next session. Just did the 2.5 gallons like the recipe called for, its a 8.5 gallon pot. My goal was to just by all the equipment early cause i know i wanted to jump right in to all grain. Reason i did a few extracts was just to get familular with the process and sanitizing properly. Thanks for the kind words..

Update July 25th: Took a gravity reading on the 18th of July, tasted it and it was a tad bitter and left a little sour bite on the end of my tongue. Took another reading today, was the same reading as the 18th so im gonna give it 5 more days and cold crash it then bottle it and wait another 3-4 weeks. When i tried it today the bitterness/sour was gone. Single stage fermentation for a month is a beautiful thing...God I love this hobby:) ps, looks about 3.83%abv cause i missed my OG by a few points, good thing is i know why i did....mistakes only make ya learn;) and the only stupid question is the one not asked..

That was just a 7 day difference from when i tried it last and it has improved that much already, even though im still a newb and it i had one piece of advice to give to anther newbie, wait at least a month before bottleing and only use single stage fermentation unless called for otherwise(lager, stout, so forth)

IMG_1040.jpg

Just so I understand what you're doing/saying... You're going to cold crash it now for 5 days and then bottle or you're going to wait for 5 days, then cold crash, then bottle?

In my experience if you've got the same reading as a week ago you're definitely good to go. Cold crash now and then bottle after 5 days or so and enjoy!

Just so I understand what you're doing/saying... You're going to cold crash it now for 5 days and then bottle or you're going to wait for 5 days, then cold crash, then bottle?

In my experience if you've got the same reading as a week ago you're definitely good to go. Cold crash now and then bottle after 5 days or so and enjoy!

Going to wait 5 days till i crash, work and other events have me tied up till then.

Ah, totally understand. My bad.

Time is always good anyways, I was just sort of curious as to why you would wait.

Carry on. LOL

Ah, totally understand. My bad.

Time is always good anyways, I was just sort of curious as to why you would wait.

Carry on. LOL

No worries at all, thanks for the input...still leaning and open to any advice:)

Latest posts

Back