First brew results after 6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moshmeister

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first brew, a Coopers Stout kit (fermented at 22-23c for 3 weeks then carbonated in bottles) is now 6 months old. I was very careful with sanitising etc. and followed all the advice from this very site.

The beer is drinkable but there's a strong taste that is hard to describe that ruins it a bit. It’s mostly in the aftertaste, but it tastes like the smell in a brewery. You know that smell that comes from the FV after the beer is taken out? It tastes like that. Perhaps it is yeast but I’m not sure.

Could anyone please shed some light on what I might have done wrong, or is this normal with Homebrews? I know the fermentation temperature was a bit higher than ideal but it's still within the guidelines so I can't imagine it caused such a noticeable effect. The beer has been sitting for 6 months now so I was hoping that the unwanted taste would have disappeared but sadly not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mosh

Are you pouring the entire bottle into the glass? If so you are pouring the yeast that has settled on the bottom of the bottle into the glass which would definitely give it a yeasty taste. Don't agitate the bottle, pour carefully and leave the last 1/4 inch in the bottle.

Hi KH

Sadly I have been doing as you suggested and still the taste is there. If you have any other thoughts please do share, thank you!

Mosh

I've had the same "flavor" with cooper's kits. I think it's the yeast strain included, combined with high fermentation temperatures. I don't get that using other yeast strains and fermenting at 18C.

Thanks Yooper, I hope that's all it is.

Does anyone else have any thoughts too? Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back