First brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToffKriger

Reaction score
Hey all.
I am finishing up my first brew, a Blackberry wheat ale. According to the recipe, I have 1 more week to go in secondary. The wife wanted to get a taste (me too), so I drew up a shot for each of us.
So, here's the question, it being my first one and all and me not knowing jack. The taste has a zing to it. Is this normal, or is it just a higher alcohol content?

Hey all.
I am finishing up my first brew, a Blackberry wheat ale. According to the recipe, I have 1 more week to go in secondary. The wife wanted to get a taste (me too), so I drew up a shot for each of us.
So, here's the question, it being my first one and all and me not knowing jack. The taste has a zing to it. Is this normal, or is it just a higher alcohol content?

We need specifics on your recipe before any reliable answers can be provided. That along with some details on how you batched together this brew will go a long way on the quality of advise you can get back. Brewing is a practice with the art residing in the details. The more you can provide the better. Cheers!

We will need recipe details, and what temperature did it ferment at.

Sorry it took me a bit, you know how life can get.

anyway, here is the recipe I used.

7 lbs Wheat Malt Extract

1/2 lb Crystal 20L

1/2 lb Wheat malt

1 1/2 oz Hallertau 8 HBUs(Boiling)

Wyeast American Ale

6 lbs Blackberries (frozen)

For Bottling:

1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

The trick to this beer is to add the fruit into the hot wort to kill any wild yeast and bacteria. But, don't boil the fruit which will set the natural pectin and make a cloudy beer.

Add cracked Wheat malt and Crystal Malt to 2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Wheat Malt Extract then bring to a boil again. Add 1 1/2 oz Hallertua hops(use a hop bag). Boil for 60 mins. Turn off the heat. Place the frozen blackberries in a fine mesh bag and close tightly(the bag you use for your grain will work). Add the bagged berries to the brew pot and let them steep for approx. 15 mins. Sparge the berries and hops with cold water into the fermenter (use a colander and bucket if your funnel is too small). Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 5 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle or keg. I For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.

Right now its at finishing its 2nd week in secondary, 3rd week total.

Well,for one,bring grains to a boil is a def no-no. whether stepping or mashing,the temps should not go anywhere near boiling. 147-ish to 160F is the tipical range for mashing. 150-165F for steeping grains is pretty typical. I usually mash @ 152-156F as a general range. 152F mostly,climbing to 153F over the course of the 1 hour mash.
And soaking the berries at flame out is a novel idea not without merit.
But racking anywhere before fermentation is done is never a good idea imo. It could stall & not finish fermenting,much less any clean up that might be needed or at least benificial.

I would go ahead and keep it in the secondary for at least one more week before bottling. The extra time will not harm anything and will more likely only improve it.

I agree with unionrdr on the boiling of grains and racking before fermentation completes. However, considering that the past can't be changed, I suggest extending the rest in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back