First brew, question about gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenedetto

Reaction score
I made my first brew last week, a belgian-style dubble ale. The recipe has an OG of 1.062, but for some reason mine came out at 1.052. Should I bottle at the same FG of the recipe (1.014), or adjust for the discrepancy in OG values?

thanks

jb

You know, in al my wine and mead making, I tried to get the OG the recipe called for, but to be honest, if I missed it by a few points I never really let it bother me. I just fermented what I had. I'm sure someone with more experience will come along and correct any of my mistakes, but that's just my take on it.

Extract-based recipes really can't have errors in original gravity. Put in enough extract, you'll get a given OG.

Most "errors" observed in extract-beer original gravity readings stem from mixing the bitter wort and top-off liquor - or more accurately, that the bitter wort and top-off liquor are not mixed. The higher-density wort tends to settle to the bottom of the fermenter, leaving less-dense liquid at the top, from whence comes your sample.

Mixing the wort and liquor thoroughly will do two things: First, if you take your gravity sample immediately after mixing you'll get an accurate gravity reading; second, you'll more thoroughly aerate the wort.

The other possibility is the temperature of the wort when you took your sample. Hydrometers are calibrated at a certain temperature, and if the wort was at a temperature different from the calibration temperature, you must compensate for the difference.

You dig?

Bob

I'm new to this myself, but this is what I've been picking up from what I've read on HBT over the last few months:

Time to start bottling is dependent on finishing primary fermentation, which is identified by consistent FG readings taken 3 days apart.

OG readings vary all of the time. I brewed my first batch last week and got 1.039 on a 1.052 recipe.

Temperature appears to be the first thing people look at for an "off" reading. Hydrometer readings should be taken at 60-degrees F, which I didn't do. They make hydrometers that have a thermometer built in and show you immediately what you need to adjust your gravity reading by if you aren't at 60-degrees. I'm going to pick up one of those today for tonight's brew.

I also read that not mixing in malt extract thoroughly can mess you up. You basically have to stir like hell when mixing in the extract.

Good luck!

thanks for the replies.. i did adjust the gravity reading for temperature, and it was still only 1.052. anyways i'm not worried about it, i checked the gravity today and it was 1.013, which is below (or is it above?) the fg of the recipe. i'll give it another week in primary and then i'll bottle it up.

jb

Back