First brew photo and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitebirdfeathers

Reaction score
I just drank the first glass from my first batch. It was very good and has alleviated all worries that I had for the past five weeks. :ban:

One question though, when I opened the bottle ( a grolsch) it popped like a champagne bottle and foamed like crazy. Where did I do wrong here? Granted I drank this one a wee bit warm but I wouldn't expect results this dramatic.
Thoughts?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO lifes never going to be the ****ing same WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :tank:

I think there is a video of a guy that pops open beer from like day 3 to day 30 and at first it does the "champagne" thing. I believe it needs to sit longer so the co2 in the headspace get absorbed into the liquid.

I believe you're referring to this video. And yes it sounds like the same thing here unless the OP has an infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
You slightly over carbed, by a quarter of a cup, but I don't think you'll have bomb problems. The problem is when you open up a warm, or rather, not cold bottle. Co2 will dissolve more easily into cold liquids. So if you go 5 days and open up a warm bottle, all the co2 that was built up will just spill out of the bottle because there's nowhere for it to go but up. If you went 5 days, chilled the bottle for 24 hours, THEN opened it up, it'll probably stay in the bottle, but won't be nearly enough to say that the beer is carbed. It's one of those things that you just have to let sit and be patient about. 3 weeks is the norm, unless you're talking about high gravity brews. 3 weeks at 70 degrees will carb most beers. Just be patient and let normal stuff happen, and y ou'll be rewarded in the end.

Back