First brew - OK, but no aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaburko

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I finally got a chance to test my first ever homebrew. After 4 weeks of primary fermentation and 3 weeks of bottled fermentation I opened a bottle last night and it was carbonated, tasty, all was OK. However, there was a disappointing lack of aftertaste. It just kind of flies away very quickly, I am not sure if this makes any sense? Is this something I can fix in the fermentation/bottling/storage state or its dependent on the extract?
thanks!

16299398_1873083312904016_7254478816598912812_n.jpg

4 weeks seems like a long time in the primary. What was the brew?

4 weeks seems like a long time in the primary. What was the brew?

Indeed the manual suggested 2 weeks, but after reading that people were leaving their brews in primary for even longer and on top of that it was cold in Europe and it was around 20c inside, I figured that longer wouldn't hurt, but shorter would. Do you think this could be the reason for lack of aftertaste? Otherwise its a coors lager (I know, I know not my favorite either, just wanted to get my hands dirty before properly starting to brew)

Indeed the manual suggested 2 weeks, but after reading that people were leaving their brews in primary for even longer and on top of that it was cold in Europe and it was around 20c inside, I figured that longer wouldn't hurt, but shorter would. Do you think this could be the reason for lack of aftertaste? Otherwise its a coors lager (I know, I know not my favorite either, just wanted to get my hands dirty before properly starting to brew)

A Coors lager clone? What kind of aftertaste were you expecting?

Sounds like a good crisp beer you made there. If you want aftertaste what kind are you looking for? Hoppy? Malty? I brew a Rye beer that has a wonderful (to my palate) sort of spicy finish that I really like.

So--before anyone can offer you a suggestion, they need to know what it is you're trying to achieve.

Keep tryin'. Find a recipe/kit with a little more flavor. No reason to go 4 weeks in fermenter, once my gravity has bottomed out, I'll give it a couple days to mature - then into the bottles. My first batch tasted like flat Newcastle...and it was an IPA kit. And keep those clear bottles in the dark!

So--before anyone can offer you a suggestion, they need to know what it is you're trying to achieve.

I wasn't trying to achieve any particular taste - as I said, this is my first batch and I wanted to get my hands dirty. It's not a matter of what taste i want, its the fact that there's no aftertaste. I assume it has to do with the extract, not with with a technical/process error, but wanted to confirm.

Total greenhorn here so can't speak from experience but I've READ from numerous places replacing half of the sugar with spraymalt should give your extract brew more body. Currently have a Coopers lager tin (that what you meant?) on the primary with a half kilo bag of muntons light spraymalt & half kilo brewer's sugar (dextrose). Can't say yet what it's gonna taste like though.

Btw what sugar are you using?

What was the recipe/kit/style of the beer? What is your water source? (Do you know generally what you've got..hard? soft? etc.) Your timeline seems ok, might just be your ingredients.

IMO, Coors beer doesn't have much taste anyways.....let alone aftertaste. Try brewing a more robust beer such as a Porter or Brown Ale.

Sounds like you successfully made beer that just happens to be intrinsically boring, due to no fault of your own! So, congrats! :) Time for the next one. Make it something with more character.

I wouldn't think the extract is to blame, unless it was old. You can get a ton of flavor out of extract kits.

Yeah I think the beer is fine....just choose something with a little more flavor....BREW ON!

Back