first brew, now time to bottle, some Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strekke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I brewed my first batch ever exactly 15 days ago, following this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=295293, a Blue Moon clone. Now I want to bottle, but have a few questions:

- How do I know the beer is ready to be bottled and the initial fermentation process is complete? I read that I should measure the density two days in a row, and if it is the same it's ready? Also, what density should I be aiming for with this beer?

- I assume I do not need a secondary fermentation in another vessel? what would be the pro's and cons? If I need one, how long?

- how much sugar should I add to get the bottle fermentation started for a 5 gallon batch? Will any sugar do? How much water should I disolve it in?

- At what temperature should I store the bottles? and for how long? I read that once they are carbonized sufficiently I should move them to the fridge to stop further carbonization?

- How long should I wait before trying my first beer after bottling? 1 week? 2 weeks? More? I assume that if I crack one open (after putting it in the fridge for 24 hours) and I like the amount of carbonisation, I should add the rest of the bottles to the fridge as well? (and vice versa: when not carbonized enough, try again after a few days?)

- once I reach the desired level of carbonization, should I keep all bottles in the fridge at all times? Or will the yeast be killed after like 48 hours in the fridge, making it safe to store the beer outside of the fridge?

Thanks in advance for all the info!

1) It's gravity, kind of the same thing really. Measure today then measure two days from now. If it's the same then bottle. The recipe you linked doesn't have a FG estimate. Probably around 1.010. The important thing is that it is staying constant.

2) you don't need secondary for this beer.

3) there are calculators such as this one http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ to figure out priming sugar. It shows different amounts for different types of sugar. For the temperature you usually use the fermentation temperature

4) Store bottles at 70F for 2 weeks. Some beers take longer than that. They will only carbonate up to a certain point no matter how long they are at room temperature. You don't have to put them in the fridge

5) I'd wait at least a week to try one. Don't chuck them all in the fridge just because you think it's carbonated enough. Some bottles may take a little longer and it may not really be as fully carbonated as you think.

6) you can leave the bottles wherever you want after carbonation is done. There will be no more sugar left for the yeast to eat.

Depending on the batch & style, it can take 3 weeks or more to carbonate & condition @ 70F or a bit more. I like to give my bottled beers at least 5-7 days fridge time for longer-lasting carbonation & good heading. I don't secondary either unless oaking or adding fruit.

Try one after a week, it might not have fully carbed or aged enough but you can sample the fruits of your labor, and now is time to get that next batch going. :mug:

Also if you haven't yet, as these guys are suggesting. Get yourself a hydrometer and learn about taking gravity readings. Most kits have an OG/FG to reference and there are conversion tables to figure out your alcohol content.

My only other advice would be that sanitation is key. Make sure everything is clean and ready to go, you don't want all the work and patience to be ruined by some laziness in the final step. It is tedious, but feels great to see a few cases of your own brew.

I also just grab a couple after a week or so and through them in the fridge for a few days. You'll learn they'll continue to taste better as time goes on for most brew styles...the hard part is trying not to drink all of them before that happens :mug:

Latest posts

Back