First Brew now in Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper

Reaction score
Well I did my first brew last night and woke up to find a fury of activity in the fermenter. I am a little nervous as I don't want the airlock to get clogged thus causing a blow off. Will it harm anything if i take the air lock out occasionally to clean it? Or should I even worry about it?

I wouldn't continuously remove the airlock. Why take the risk? I would just replace the airlock with a blowoff tube in the stopper and leave it alone until its ready to go into the primary. Just be sure to put the blowoff tube in a glass of sanitized water.

bucket or carboy? bucket's usually don't fill up with enough krausen to matter.

a carboy, you'll probably want a blow off tube attached.

malkore said:
bucket or carboy? bucket's usually don't fill up with enough krausen to matter.

a carboy, you'll probably want a blow off tube attached.

It's A bucket. Like I said I am a bit concerned as the lid is already bowed (Should I be Worried?). How do you rig a blow off tube? I have tubing, but i am sure its too big for the stopper.

How much free space is there in your bucket? If it's filled right up to the top then you might have problems, but if there's a little space at the top then I wouldn't worry about blow-offs. Those seem to occur more with carboys, which have much smaller headspace than buckets. The lid of my brewing bucket is, like yours, slightly bowed, but that's just gas - it's a 25 liter bucket that only has 21 liters of beer in it, so whilst it's pretty lively, it's not a blow-off risk.

Cool!..........Just to ease my worries, I went ahead and attached some 5/8 tubing to the stopper and put the other end in some sanitized water. I feel better now, man it's really going to town.

Back