First brew mistake - how to proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raider1v1

Reaction score
So we did our first two batches yesterday, a witbier and hefewiesen. We followed all of the steps but forgot to record the OG before setting them down to ferment during the excitement.

There is fermentation happening but how will we know when it stopped? Would we still be able to do a secondary or is that even necessary?

Both of these were Brewers best kits.

So we did our first two batches yesterday, a witbier and hefewiesen. We followed all of the steps but forgot to record the OG before setting them down to ferment during the excitement.

There is fermentation happening but how will we know when it stopped? Would we still be able to do a secondary or is that even necessary?

Both of these were Brewers best kits.

I'm assuming that these were extract kits. If they are, and you got your volume correct, then it's a pretty safe bet that the OG is right where it's supposed to be as well.

Secondaries are not necessary for these beers. Let them sit for two, preferably three weeks, then keg or bottle them up and let them sit for another three weeks.

fermentation has stopped when successive readings over severals days show no change in gravity, then that's your FG and you can rack it to secondary (personal preference) or bottle/keg

OG is that first gravity reading and is more for measuring your ABV. if you've done an all-extract kit - as long as you hit your volumes correctly, then you can guarantee that your OG is what the kit says it will be

Don't worry about not taking OG from kits. If you hit all your volumes right you should have a OG of what is printed on the sheets. You can tell when you're done when you get a steady FG over 3 days. Of the Brewers Best kit I've done. I've waited about 3 weeks. And they were done. Good luck and cheers!

Welcome to the hobby

Brewing extract kits you can just guess your OG is in the range predicted by the kit. Hard to be far off if you used all the ingredients and didnt spill a bunch of wort on way to fermenter.

As for how to know when it's done, OG really isn't much help. It is normally done after about 2 weeks when 2 FG measurements in a row haven't changed. And secondary is not necessary.

Hmm so t secondary isn't necessary. Will it do anything?

The witbier said it's a good idea, but just off to the side on the instruction sheet. It was a steep to convert But it would be pretty hard to mess those things up.

So for fermentation being complete just measure in two weeks three days in a row?

It might be done in two weeks. Most likely 3 weeks,including time to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. But test it,wait2 days. Then on the 3rd day,test it again. If the numbers match,it's done & you just need to let it settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging. This is,to me,clean up,or the first phase of conditioning. The rest of conditioning happens with carbonating in the keg or bottles.

Or measure in 2 weeks, then wait 2 days and measure again. Same value you are done, bottle it.

I really try to avoid getting into the beer. Each time you do you risk contamination and introduce oxygen which is what leads to stale beer.

That's why I have spigots on my fermenters.

+1. Wise men think alike.:mug:

Here's another vote for not bothering with a secondary on these beers. Now, if you have the means (like a fermenter fridge/freezer) to cold crash at sub-40*F for 5-7 days, I'd certainly do that prior to bottling.

The measure it multiple days is not a reliable way. I have on at least one occasion had a beer stall out "near" the expected gravity. It didn't change and we bottled those turned into bottle bombs.

It's totally reliable if you measure,note number,wait till the 3rd day & measure again,noting the number. You apply that to the expected/listed FG range to know if it's truly done or not. that part is up to your knowledge & experience. Patience & common sense also apply here...:mug:

The most important rule is: Don't be in a hurry to bottle and drink your beer. Yes, we know it is so cool what we have made, and we oh so want to drink it now, but alas, drinking your beer too young will not let you know what that batch of beer is really capable of. Just my .02, FWIW

Back