First Brew in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan21

Reaction score
Hello group,

Just want to check in and say hello. I've been reading posts for a couple weeks now. Been researching and considering taking my first steps into the craft for some time, finally took the plunge this past week. I opted to go with the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit, I have a 5 gal. stainless brew pot (already had it). Went with Oxi Clean Free for cleaning and One Step for secondary cleaning and sanitizing. (Feel like Star San may be better from what i've read)
Read many tips, watched several videos, paid close attention to the instructions and I seem to be ok at this point. I went with the BB American Light kit for my first brew, wanted something easy that I had a good idea how it should turn out. Brewed on Saturday, fermentation started in < 24hrs and air lock activity has subsided on day 3. Took a hydrometer reading and i'm sitting at 1.012 right now, instructions says target is 1.008-1.011 so I'm almost there. Didn't get a good initial reading because I wasn't real sure that I read it correctly but looked to be in the 1.041 range. My sample is a nice golden/straw color and smells like beer, tasted the sample and it seems to be doing well, no odd or sour tastes. I plan to use a secondary after a couple more days in the primary. I have to go out of town for a week so I plan to transfer to the secondary on day 6 where it will sit for another 2 weeks before bottling.

So, first and foremost, thank you to all the posters with the tips, trials, and errors. This place has been a wealth of knowledge.
If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions for my process/timeline I would love the critique. I have another BB American Amber Ale kit on deck, if that one turns out I want to move to something a bit more advance.

Cheers..

Sounds like you are well on your way to me. Make sure you read up on carbonation so you can hit on the head for your first batch !

Thanks, I have been reading up on it. So many different theories and methods out there its hard to know which way to go. My intent is to dump half into a PartyPig and bottle the rest. I plan to follow the priming instructions that came with the kit for this first batch then adjust from there if needed on the next batch. I have the American light in the secondary where it will sit for a couple more weeks before I bottle. I have an Amber Ale in the primary so I have a couple batches to practice with here before too long.

Back