First Brew in the Primary For 2 Weeks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp24000

Reaction score
I just opened the primary after two week to check out my pumpkin ale. I dumped everything from my boil into the bucket, including the pumpkin sludge, two week ago. The beer looks a little cloudy still, but I was surprised at how clear it is, with very little pumpkin residue floating around.

I was wondering how much longer I should keep it in primary. I have kept the temperature at about 65 degrees, and do not want to bottle too early. I was thinking at least another week to help clear it up more.

Also, is three weeks in the bottle sufficient time for a pumpkin ale?

Thanks for the help!

leave it another 2 weeks and then bottle it up. bottle it and leave it another 3 weeks.

HI and welcome

Well I will let some of the other members here answer your question because I am new to brewing also but I did want to say welcome to this great hobby. I would love to try this pumpkin ale. Do you have a recipe of it?

Roger

I love pumpkin ale and want to brew one and am still a noob. Is it much more difficult to do? I've looked at some recipes online and some talk about gutting and cooking the pumpkin while others talk about using canned pumpkin. How did you do yours?

Rev.

I used canned pumpkin. Spread 3 12oz cans onto a baking sheet, sprinkled brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice on top, then baked it for 45 minutes. I added it to the boil with 5 minutes left. Then dumped the entire sludge into the primary.

I was concerned with the beer not clearing up, but after 2 weeks it looks much more clear than I expected. Hopefully after a week or two more in the primary, it will be fantastic.

Take a gravity reading now, and take one in 5 days to a week. If it's not dropped but a point or nothing you are done. Feel free to let it sit in primary another 2-6 weeks. Bottle at your convenience.

This will work.

Well the pumpkin ale will be in the primary for 4 weeks this coming Saturday. I opened the bucket and got a reading yesterday. It's right where it needs to be. The beer is actually much clearer than I expected since I dumped 3 cans of pumpkin in the bucket as well.

I would think 4 weeks is plenty in the primary. I will be bottling this weekend, and probably letting it condition for another 2 weeks. I'm pretty excited!!!

4 weeks should be perfect for the primary and another 2-3 in the bottle should make them drinkable. I followed a similar method for a pumpkin brew and found that the tastes really started to come around after about 2 months in the bottle, so don't drink through them too quickly!

I wouldn't worry about it clearing. The pumpkin should settle fine in the primary, just siphon extra carefully. Throw a bunch in the fridge 2 days before you plan on drinking them and that'll help as well.

I made a pumpkin ale as my first beer and it turned out great. One thing I noticed though was it kind of acted opposite of most beers when it comes to aginng. Two weeks in it still had the spices, cinnamon, and pumpkin flavor, but any one I had after that tended to lose its flavor to the point where I couldn't even finish the beer. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Spiced beer loses its flavor over time.

Back