First brew in the fermenter.. What to Expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
First time brewing, using a True Brew Amber Ale. Followed instructions, Brewed for 30 minutes then added a 1/2 tsp of Irish Moss for last 15 minutes. I had some difficulty getting a good boil, on my glass rangetop with 1.5 gal of water.

I didn't add the ingredients until it was boiling so brewing time started after the water boiled. It seemed like I never got a raging boil and the initial foaming was never more than 1/2 thick and dissipated in a few minutes. I quick cooled in the sink down to about 80 then let it sit and cool for 5 hours covered, to 78 when I pitched the yeast. I am using a wet tshirt and fan to keep the pail cool and it is actually down to about 69-70 and bubbling nicely in the airlock about 1 every 2 seconds after 24 hours. OG was 1.044.

My question is, am I going to have problems since I may not have acheived Hot Break? Also the scent out of the airlock smeel kind of like bannanas. Will this clear up?

I plan on racking to a glass secondary for a week after my FG is good for a week before bottling.

When you cooled, did you see the remnants of coagulated protein (mostly what trub is made up of)? For your first brew, I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case scenario you could have some chill haze (minor problem) or stability issues which probably not a biggie, since the first batch always goes the quickest.

I think the main problem at this point is the cold break took way long. I would collect ice and put it in the sink. Then stirring will really help cool things down.

Did you dilute the wort with other water - how big was the batch. Diluting with cold water will get that temp down also.

The one time I really did not have a good boil the brew turned out like it was a little diluted. Funny thing is people LOVE it because it tastes a little diluted like "normal" beer (yea - that's sad).

As for hot breaks - like fermenting - each one is different.

Range top glass stoves SUCK!! I know!

Range top glass stoves SUCK!! I know!

Tell me about it. On the one hand, the only way I can get a rolling boil of ~3 gallons is with the lid on. On the other hand, you don't want to boil 3 gallons of wort with the lid on.

That said, as a complete novice, I'd say it sounds like this beer is gonna be just fine!

Today was my "first" batch, too. "First", as in first in about 15 years.

Like the OP, we have a glass top range, it was a pain, but I did get a good boil in the end. I cooled the wort down to 80 in about 25 minutes using ice in the sink.

Got a red ale in the bucket now, just waiting for the bubbling to start.

:ban:

The cooling initially took about 20 minutes and I did use ice. It was around 80 when I stopped. I let it sit so long because 1) it was my first batch and 2) I wanted the wort to be cool enough so as not kill my yeast. I live in Florida and I was very concerned I would not be able to keep my fermenter cool enough. I will learn from my mistakes, as I am keeping good records of everything I do. When will it stop smelling like a fruit?

Back