First brew in the bottles- Thanks HBT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcummings1998

Reaction score
After reading the forum for weeks, brewing my first batch, asking stupid newbie questions, reading some more, doing a few panicked searches, buying some unnecessary-but-awesome tools (toys), a few more newbie questions, and a final search on the forum...I've brewed and bottled my first batch.

I waffled on naming it or just keeping it simple, but I decided that every good beer deserves a good name. So today, we put Primordial Red Ale into bottles.

Off of memory, I think the initial was 1.042 and the final was 1.012, giving an approximate ABV of 4%. Light, but (hopefully) delicious.

Thanks, HBT. I owe a lot to you guys.

Cheers!

image-3176323687.jpg

Congrats! In about a week you'll break down and put a single bottle in the fridge for a taste test. This is okay. :D

My brother and I are also trying to think of a good name for our first brew. We haven't decided on anything yet, but my favorite is Screaming Albino Monkey (Belgian White).

Cheers :mug:

onipar said:
Congrats! In about a week you'll break down and put a single bottle in the fridge for a taste test. This is okay. :D

My brother and I are also trying to think of a good name for our first brew. We haven't decided on anything yet, but my favorite is Screaming Albino Monkey (Belgian White).

Cheers :mug:

In about a week? I'm about to crack one open right now!

pauljmccain said:
"Out of memory..." - make sure you are recording everything!

I am, I just wasn't at home when I posted that. I was...um... out sampling...

Now that I'm looking at my board, I see that initial was 1.042 and final was 1.012. So 4%.

dcummings1998 said:
In about a week? I'm about to crack one open right now!

Ha! I know the feeling. Cracked my first after only four days. In the name of science of course.

I know patience is a hard thing to learn,but well worth it. I refused to touch any of my ales before 3 weeks. Just won't do it. I don't want to waste green beer that'll be better in a couple of weeks. Then I'd be sorry/angry that I drank so much of it out of sheer impatience. Don't do it. There is nothing scientific to be gained from sampling green beer. It takes time. Period.:tank:

unionrdr said:
I know patience is a hard thing to learn,but well worth it. I refused to touch any of my ales before 3 weeks. Just won't do it. I don't want to waste green beer that'll be better in a couple of weeks. Then I'd be sorry/angry that I drank so much of it out of sheer impatience. Don't do it. There is nothing scientific to be gained from sampling green beer. It takes time. Period.:tank:

It's going to be tough, but I'll try to hold out as long as possible.

Really quick, what are the signs of carbonation that I should look for? Is there anything, or do I just wait and pray?

The only way you can really tell is if you're using PET bottles. Like the ones you get in the cooper's micro brew kit,or their new DIY beer kit. They get hard as they carbonate,to the point where you can't squeeze'em.

Ha. :D I was sort of joking around a bit. I did open one early, but this was my first brew and I wanted to see the progression of flavor. It's not something I plan to do on every batch.

Good advice though, thanks.

I was just giving the benefit of my experience. Didn't intend to sound abrupt or snobbish. But,I knew it wouldn't be ready yet,so I left it to it's own devices.

I was just giving the benefit of my experience. Didn't intend to sound abrupt or snobbish. But,I knew it wouldn't be ready yet,so I left it to it's own devices.

No no, not at all. I really do value the advice you gave, and you're absolutely right. There was something of a nervous tic I had during this first brew that i know won't be there anymore. Partly because I'll have two cases of homebrew to drink this time while I wait for the next batch, and partly because I've now experienced a green beer and have no desire to again. :cross:

:mug:

Yeah, i hear some people say they taste the hydrometer sample and it's "delicious." So when I tasted my hydrometer sample and it tasted like the warm beer left at the bottom of a plastic cup the day after a college kegger, I got worried.

The finished product tastes nothing like it, thank God.

Fer real. I know now that it's green,it's flat,the flavors & aromas need to develop,etc. But I can get some idea of what I'll end up with. I think that's what they're referring to. An experience thing.

I just tried one of the beers, and it was pretty good. I know it isn't done conditioning yet, but the flavor and carbonation were nice. I think a couple more weeks in the bottles and I'll have a great beer!

I just tried one of the beers, and it was pretty good. I know it isn't done conditioning yet, but the flavor and carbonation were nice. I think a couple more weeks in the bottles and I'll have a great beer!

Sweet! :ban:

This Sunday officially marks 3 weeks in the bottle for my first batch. I'm looking forward to seeing how the flavor changed from my last taste.

I'm having a hard time describing the flavor of this brew. It isn't like most red ales; it actually tastes sort of like a porter. Maybe a blend between a red and a porter...

I don't know. All in all, it's pretty good, but I think I'll leave it in the bottles a little longer. Carbonation is pretty low, and I want to see what happens after a few more weeks.

Remember that this is a kit from Midwest, so I wasn't really expecting a mind-blowing beer. My pale ale, however, will hopefully be a killer!

Good! Get that pipeline going. We've got 4.75 cases of 2 different ales sitting against the wall across from me as we speak. My cooper's micro brew FV is fermenting my dark ale,soon to become whiskely ale. 2nd day,& it's already slowing down. I don't think I've heard a rumble from the blow off all day. May replace the airlock tonight if it stays this way.

I'm really curious why the beer came out tasting the way it does. It's a Midwest Irish Red Ale kit, and I've heard from my friends that it's like a porter, or that it tastes like chocolate. Neither of those makes sense, unless an Irish red is something entirely different from what I'm thinking about.

Anyone had a similar experience with this or any other kit?

Back