First Brew, high OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basepaul21

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch over the weekend, Munton's Nut Brown Ale.

The can said the target OG is 1.040 to 1.044, but I got a reading of about 1.059 at a temperature of 65 F. The only reason I can guess as to why is because the can of LME said 1.8 kg (4 lbs) and that it says it makes 6 "UK" gallons. I'm only brewing 5 "US" gallons. I don't know if there's a difference between the two, or if I should be concerned at all. If it helps, I added 3 lbs of Amber DME to the LME and 1.5 gallons of water, and boiled for 45 mins. Then I added that to the fermenter with 3 gallons of cold water.

I haven't measured the gravity again yet, but I've read that a final gravity should be around 1.010 to 1.014. I'm assuming that's from the target OG, so should I expect fermentation to finish at a higher SG?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Imperial gallon= 1.2 US Gallons

6 Imperial gallons = 7.2 Gallons

You're FG will be higher because the yeast will only attenuate so far. It will just be a bit sweeter tasting beer and not as dry.

The can said the target OG is 1.040 to 1.044, but I got a reading of about 1.059 at a temperature of 65 F. The only reason I can guess as to why is because the can of LME said 1.8 kg (4 lbs) and that it says it makes 6 "UK" gallons.

Somethings not right. There is no way 4lbs of extract can make 1.04 to 1.044 in 6 gallons, especially LME. most LME is around 36ppg, while dme is around 44ppg. If somehow that is a higher gravity LME, then you're OG sounds about right (42 *4 + 3*44 = 300 / 5 = 1.06). However, since you topped off before taking a measurement, the accuracy of you're reading comes in to question due to the difficulty in properly mix wort and water.

as for your FG, if your reading was correct, then expect around 1.015

since you topped off before taking a measurement, the accuracy of you're reading comes in to question due to the difficulty in properly mix wort and water.

When you say topped off, do you mean I should have let the wort cool in the brew pot and take the reading from there, then add it to the 3 gallons of water in the fermenter?

Perhaps I should have stirred it a little before taking the reading, as it took a significant amount of time to cool from the boil, even in the 3 gallons of cold water.

When you say topped off, do you mean I should have let the wort cool in the brew pot and take the reading from there, then add it to the 3 gallons of water in the fermenter?

exactly, and then you can calculate from there. its the only guaranteed way to get an accurate reading with partial boils

batch OG = post-boil OG * post-boil volume / batch volume.

Thanks dcp, since I only have a 3 gallon pot for now, I'll definitely use this method from now on (if I'm patient enough). I was told by someone at my LHBS that I should stir the beer in the fermenter in order to get an accurate FG reading. Is that a good idea, and should I wait after that for the beer to settle a bit before bottling, or just go for it?

Thanks dcp, since I only have a 3 gallon pot for now, I'll definitely use this method from now on (if I'm patient enough). I was told by someone at my LHBS that I should stir the beer in the fermenter in order to get an accurate FG reading. Is that a good idea, and should I wait after that for the beer to settle a bit before bottling, or just go for it?

you can always just pull a sample before topping off, cool it in the fridge and test it later if you don't feel like waiting. however, if you're dealing with only extract, you can just calculate what you're OG will be since its known amounts.

no don't stir for an FG, the yeast will churn it all up more than enough that it will be evenly mixed.

Bottled last night, and as predicted by chaydaw, the FG was higher than targeted (1.021 instead of 1.014). That being said, I calculated my ABV to be just about 5%, which is right where it said it would be. Sample tasted pretty good last night, so I can't wait to taste the finished product!

Somethings not right. There is no way 4lbs of extract can make 1.04 to 1.044 in 6 gallons, especially LME. most LME is around 36ppg, while dme is around 44ppg. If somehow that is a higher gravity LME, then you're OG sounds about right (42 *4 + 3*44 = 300 / 5 = 1.06). However, since you topped off before taking a measurement, the accuracy of you're reading comes in to question due to the difficulty in properly mix wort and water.

as for your FG, if your reading was correct, then expect around 1.015

From the OP (Not sure if this was a late edit):

"If it helps, I added 3 lbs of Amber DME to the LME and 1.5 gallons of water, and boiled for 45 mins. Then I added that to the fermenter with 3 gallons of cold water."
tastybrew.com recipe calc put OG of 4# LME and 3# DME in a 5 Gal batch right at 1056...which is right about where he is.

So, was the DME added as part of the recipe or because you wanted to add it? I assumed it was part of the recipe. If so, Joe's correct.

Lastly, same malt addition to a smaller volume will certainly result in a higher OG. The expectation that the FG will be higher is spot on since your yeast will still only attenuate the expected percentage (probably ~70%). So, FG will be higher. You may or may not percieve a sweeter beer. Having a higher FG doesn't mean it'll be sweeter (but it may be).

So, was the DME added as part of the recipe or because you wanted to add it? I assumed it was part of the recipe. If so, Joe's correct.

Lastly, same malt addition to a smaller volume will certainly result in a higher OG. The expectation that the FG will be higher is spot on since your yeast will still only attenuate the expected percentage (probably ~70%). So, FG will be higher. You may or may not percieve a sweeter beer. Having a higher FG doesn't mean it'll be sweeter (but it may be).

I am still kinda of surprised that beer finished so high. I would have kicked the fermenter a few times and let it sit for a while if a 1060 beer of mine finished > 1020. Maybe that's me. But I would have expected it to finish around 1015 or less based on my house yeast and average ferm temps.

tastybrew.com recipe calc put OG of 4# LME and 3# DME in a 5 Gal batch right at 1056...which is right about where he is.

oh i know, I thought he meant that just the can of LME was supposed to make a 1.04-1.044 beer on its own. I didn't realize that the 3lbs of DME was meant to be part of the kit. Either way the beer shouldn't have finished that high. Its only like 63% attenuation. Sounds like a case of the "1.02 curse" sometimes associated with extract kits.

I bought the kit from my LHBS, and they guy that sold it to me said it was supposed to make 5 gallons of beer, with the can of LME and the 3# of DME. The can said 6, (as I posted originally) but being my first brew, I did what the salesman told me, because he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I think the FG is so high because I didn't really control the fermenting temperature very well, and it reached the low to mid 70's (F) during the first few days. Then again, I'm a rookie, so I really don't know.

I bought the kit from my LHBS, and they guy that sold it to me said it was supposed to make 5 gallons of beer, with the can of LME and the 3# of DME. The can said 6, (as I posted originally) but being my first brew, I did what the salesman told me, because he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I think the FG is so high because I didn't really control the fermenting temperature very well, and it reached the low to mid 70's (F) during the first few days. Then again, I'm a rookie, so I really don't know.

You did fine. Some beers finish high. RDWHAHB

So last night was the 2 week mark for my bottle conditioning, and I decided to try my first home brew. It turned out pretty well (for a first attempt) but I definitely smelled an acidic sort of aroma. It's a very full bodied beer, pretty sweet, and has a nice clean finish to it, though it definitely still tastes a little green.

My only question here is if anyone knows where the acidic aroma comes from. Could it have been the fermenting temperatures?

So last night was the 2 week mark for my bottle conditioning, and I decided to try my first home brew. It turned out pretty well (for a first attempt) but I definitely smelled an acidic sort of aroma. It's a very full bodied beer, pretty sweet, and has a nice clean finish to it, though it definitely still tastes a little green.

My only question here is if anyone knows where the acidic aroma comes from. Could it have been the fermenting temperatures?

Acidic straight out of the bottle? Could have been a nose-hit of CO2. :drunk:

Back