First brew have a few questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlezracer

Reaction score
My first brew is a Nut Brown Ale Extract kit. It has been in the fermentor for one week. It has stopped bubbling out the airlock. I have not opened the bucket yet and plan to leave it in the fermentor for at least another week maybe two. Instructions call for two weeks in fermentor. I am worried that with the lack of bubbling something maybe wrong.

No worries. It's a natural part of the fermenting process. Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean the yeast aren't doing their job. Let it sit for 2-3 weeks total and then go to bottling.

RDWHAHB! :mug:

All is good. I have generally followed the pattern of brewing one weekend, transferring to a secondary the next (not required), and bottling the weekend after that. Most yeast activity should be done 4-5 days into the ferment.

The above replies are correct. I'll add that if your fermentation temp is a little on the high side, the fermentation can be done even more quickly than normal, though you'll end up with some off flavors.

The long time in the fermentor is to allow the yeast to flocculate down to the bottom for clarity, not necessarily to continue fermenting.

I wish you well with your brewing! It's such a great hobby!

I let mine ferment down to a stable FG,however long that takes. Then give it another 3-7 days to setle out clear or slightly misty. It'll also clean up any off flavors during this time as well. Then prime & bottle.

Usually, i will go in and take a hydrometer sample at 1 week to make sure everything is going well in there. If its close to my finishing gravity, i will let it sit two more weeks, then bottle.
Good Luck

Joe

I let all of my beers go 3 weeks at a minimum. At the 3 week period, I take 2 FG readings, separated by 2 days. Example: FG reading on Wednesday, then FG reading on Friday. If they match, I cold crash (depending on the style) for 48 hours and then bottle.

Latest posts

Back