First Brew, First Post, First Problem. Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolander

Reaction score
So I finally bought a basic brew kit started up my first batch: Muntons Old Conkerwood Black Ale. Was super careful with sterilization and such, and found the process to be generally easy, especially since it was all LME.

I made a first time mistake though. I rehydrated the yeast at way too high a temperature (70 C), like a fool! Pretty sure I killed my yeast. I pitched it anyway and hoped for the best.

Here's the wort right before pitching, at 1045 OG. (first picture)

http://imgur.com/a/uxI52

Well, my suspicions of killing the yeast were confirmed when I peeled off the lid off the wort after a few days of sitting at temps between 16 and 20 C. It wort looked exactly the same. No foam, no cloudiness, no nothing.

I lamented my rookie mistake to a veteran brewer, who generously gave me a small container of top-cropped yeast from one of his primaries. He mentioned that all would be well and that adding it to my wort should get it rocking and rolling in a matter of hours.

Well, that was 12 hours ago, and my wort looks, well, not active (see second photo). Just a few splotches.

Is this lack of activity normal? Shouldn't my brew be foaming at the mouth by now? I'm resisting the urge to keep checking it, and I think it's best to wait a few more days before adding more yeast, but I would really appreciate your opinions on this.

Thanks.

How much yeast did he give you? Also how long and at what temperature was it stored. I don't thing I'd wait that long to pitch more yeast. The longer you wait without the unfriendly contitions the yeast create for bateria the greater your risk of infection.

EDIT: my bad, thanks petey.

I would give it a few days as well. Let them acclimate some to their new environment they will get to work when they are ready.

Did you check the gravity? I would give it more time, at least another day or so. Keep the lid on and check tomorrow. Have a couple of cold ones in the meantime.
CH66, he said he re-pitched with some yeast another brewer gave him.

Latest posts

Back