First Brew; first crack of the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoveMaine

Reaction score
Brewing a Bavarian Hefeweizen; opened up the bucket today to take a gravity reading. I'm at 3.5 days.

Results below.

Looks like beer. Smells like beer. Tastes kind of like flat beer (but a little sour - normal?).

Gravity reading was 1.016.

Everything look normal? I'm I on course?

IhFzQ4H.jpg

Y4K9r8B.jpg

Looks good.

In the future there is no need to check on the brew that fast. I usually forget about them for a couple of weeks before the first test.

what they said - 3.5 days in, you're going to have a number of probable off flavors. If you like to sample quick (i do) i usually wait a week between samples. so, brew, wait 1 week, sample, wait another week, sample again, wait another week, sample, etc, it's interesting to see how beers come along

Looks like you got yourself some beer! Congratulations!

I agree with @beergolf no need to check so soon! Let the yeast do their thing and at week 3 or 4 you can do a gravity check.

Remember, when you have a consistent gravity reading three times you are done!

Cheers!

It's not quite done- it still has krausen although it is falling a bit since the krausen ring is higher than the level of the krausen currently.

Cover it back up and check it in a week or so. There is never a reason to check the beer when it's got an active fermentation going on, especially as early as day 3, as unless you are planning on an action (racking, bottling, etc), the reading is meaningless.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

It's my first brew, so patience is tough the first time around. I'll leave it for another week before checking again.

the patience part is hard, but it does get easier. As others have said, give the yeast their space. Nothing good comes from popping that lid unless you have a good reason.

Congrats on your first beer!:mug:

Looks good. congrats on our brew...you will find out that you can be a lot lazier that you thought. let it sit and relax...listen to the others guys above..you don't need to check it that fast, but i can't blame you for wanting t know if your on track..i usually go a week without checking then rack into the secondary and usually check then just to make sure it has actually gotten down close...then let it sit in the secondary for a couple weeks till i get bored and then keg it.

3.5 days in and you haven't bottled yet? Better get on that before it goes bad!!!

Kidding. Hefes finish up quick so I'll usually check them for the first time around a week. Some Hefe strains will produce a sulfur smell that will just aout knock you out if you take a big wiff during fermentation, so I like to avoid that unpleasantness when possible.

Back