First Brew Fermenting quickly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STL_Lucas

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my very first brew and it's an English Brown Ale Brewer's Best Malt Extract Kit. I did my diligence and completed what I though was a pretty good first attempt at boiling and getting the wort into the fermentation bucket. Pitched dry yeast at about 70 degrees and kept bucket in closet in tub of water rotating frozen water bottles and have kept the temperature between about 68-72 degrees. Very good bubbling at the 24 hour mark but at the 48 hour mark there is absolutely no bubbling.

OG = 1.045
SG now = 1.010

ABV = 4.59

Did I do something wrong for the fermentation to complete this quickly. I was planning on leaving in primary for about 7 days or so and then switching over to a secondary for a couple weeks I'm just confused that there "appears" to be no active bubbling and I'm already at the appropriate SG and ABV for this brew. Looks pretty hazy to me and not quite as dark as a brown ale should be. Smell is definitely off but I'm not sure if these develop over the fermentation process? Just looking for any input on what may have caused this and where to go from here or if I just need to not worry about it and stick to the plan. Thanks in advance!

RDWHAHB would apply here if it wasn't your first batch. Everything's fine. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks then bottle. Don't bother with secondary unless you have excess time and like increasing your risk of infection and oxidation. The beer is hazy because there's yeast floating around as its only been 2 days. It will flocculate over time. Your final gravity of 1.010 means that it's likely close if not done fermenting. What FG did the kit tell you to expect? if it got much lower it wouldn't have much body. Give it 3 weeks in primary to let the yeast clean up the beer, then bottle. In the meantime, buy another primary and get another batch going. It's harder to wait when you have no homebrew to drink. We've all been there...

Thanks Dave! The more I read last night the less worried I became. It said that the FG should be 1.010 so it's there. I'm definitely not trying to rush it I was just making sure everything was good and it sounds like it is. I'll be sure to leave it for the full 3 weeks before bottling. I'm also going to pick-up that second fermenter so I can get another batch going! Thanks again for the feedback!

Welcome to the obsession. Pretty soon you'll be sending lots of money and time. Having a fermentation chamber to keep the beer temp consistent would be wise to look into. And doing yeast starters with liquid yeast is nice. I especially like them to culture yeast from bottles and to save yeast in your fridge for future brews. After you taste this first beer you're gonna ask yourself how to make it better. Lots of information so just look around and ask.

Latest posts

Back