First Brew - Fermented too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa_Legba

Reaction score
I did a mini mash wheat beer.
Hit OG at 1.049
However, after 4 weeks in the fermenter it's at 1.008 (target 1.017). There were tiny bubbles in the sample (indicating active fermentation?)

It's been in a freezer constantly between 62-65 degrees during the 4 weeks.

Trying to figure out why I wouldn't be closer to FG?

You passed your target! Good Job! :rockin:

What's the problem? Did you want it sweeter? Can you backsweeten? Did I misread your question? Is there a typo? 62-65 should be perfect depending on the yeast. Can you post the full recipe?

It's done. Probably right where you want it. It'll be a little higher alcohol since it finished lower. Bottle it up.

I believe most specialized wheat beer strains want you to ferment between 57F-65F. Where did you get the idea that you wanted a final gravity of 1.017? That seems high for something that starts out below 1.050. What yeast did you use?

After fermentation is done a small amount of carbon dioxide will remain dissolved in solution, enough that when you take a sample you will probably see some bubbles. Unless you swirl it around to degas (which you should *only* do if it is a sample, swirling the bulk could add new oxygen and create off flavors) or maybe put it under a slight vacuum (I don't know) you're going to have bubbles.

Hi,

With your two gravity readings you have an apparent attenuation of 83% which is quite good. If you were aiming for 1.017 you would only have an attenuation of 64% which would be low. You should explain where you got the 1.017 figure from. It is too high for a low gravity wheat beer.

What yeast did you use? Assuming you used US05, it looks like you've done a good job. 63-65 is a good temperature - I wouldn't call it too cold.

You don't need to leave it in the fermenter for four weeks if you don't want to. A low gravity beer like that should easily be done in two weeks if fermented properly.

Additionally, the problem might be your recipe. Depending on mash temp and yeast health, all grain beers can sometimes struggle to get below 1.010 but extracts almost virtually guarantee high ferment-ability. So in my mind 1.008 seems about right.

Will still be a great beer though.

All - thanks so much for the feedback.

The recipe is an AHS American Wheat Mini Mash using WB-06 dry yeast (I did not rehydrate).

The recipe gave the 1.017 as the target FG.

So, just for future reference - what should I use as a guide for FG? I plan on doing AHS mini mashes for the next few brews at least.

Thanks again.

I'm looking at their site and they say 1.049 and 1.012 as estimates. Maybe a typo on your sheet or you need reading glasses? ;)

Interesting that they use WB-06 as their dry option, I would probably have gone with US-05 for an American wheat. You may get more clove and banana than you expected (going by description, I've never actually used that yeast).

Hmmm....I see that on the website. The printed instructions I received in the store clearly state 1.017, so I'll have to take that up with them next time I'm in.

Back