First Brew Fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreTrub

Reaction score
I bought my first kit the other day and brew a Belgian Saison using the Brewers Best extract kit. Without a doubt I made some mistakes which I've reflected on and have a plan for next time. One such mistake that I think I made was pitching the yeast too soon and cooling the wort.

While I plan on investing more into this hobby I do not have a wort chiller and had to use the ice water bath in the sink method. The instruction call for the wort to be chilled as quickly as possible so when I noticed the wort was still really warm and the ice bath water temperature was getting warmer I added the my additional water to get around 5 gallons. The wort got down to around 80 Fahrenheit. I took the OG and pitched the yeast. I sealed everything up in the primary fermenter and inserted the airlock.

After cleaning the kitchen I went to check on everything and the airlock was bubbling away. Non-stop bubbling without overflow and the sanitizer was bubbling out of the airlock. I was pleasantly surprised and was no longer worried about the yeast. The fermenter is stored in a closet and I keep the house around 75 degrees.

I get home last night and noticed the house was a little warmer than usual and realized the wife shut off the air and the house was around 82 all day. I checked on the fermenter and there is little activity. A tiny bubble every 10 minutes. Do you think the batch is still fine or is my wife finding a new place to stay during fermentation (I actually forgot to tell her not to shut off the air)?

Thoughts?

You will be fine.. Saison yeast like warm and the bubbles will slow within the first 2 or 3 days for most beers. The rest of the fermentation time is for yeast clean up and settling. Relax, all will be good! :mug:

Still using a/c damn I wish I'm into heating season big time

Still using a/c damn I wish I'm into heating season big time

Back