First Brew Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottO51

Reaction score
Using a Coopers brew kit I started a Lager last night from concentrate. I know im a newb for that. Fermenter Has a nice foamy head on it after 24hrs so I guess I didn't ruin it by pitching a little hot at 96F. Will try harder to get it down next time. Not sure if I started too hot with the dry ingredients or didn't add enough cold or if it matters as long as everything is dissolved and temp is good.

Next time I will bloom the yeast before pitching instead of sprinkling on top. seems to be working though, smells a little like bread. Can I hurt it by Peeking?

After a run or two I will attempt making a real wort from scratch. Kind of wanted to get the hang of it

Temp is now down to around 60 degrees in a nice dark basement. where it is pretty chilly this time of year temp should be constant. OG was 1.033? If I am reading this bobber right.

96F is really too warm to pitch. I like to get mine below 68F or so. But you will get it.

Spend some time here learning, ask the questions you need to, maybe even before you brew your next.

Brew an easy beer, in fact, I would recommend a couple of kits before you move on to all grain.

Build yourself a wort chiller and use it with kits and of course when you move to all grain.

I tried to at least document my screw ups so i can figure things out a little easier. LOL the only reason I pitched that hot was because the "recipe" and i use that term very loosely said it was ok if it was off a few degrees but to add the yeast as soon as possible. Could I have simply waited?
Thanks for the reply, Great boost of confidence.

As you know, 96 degrees is way too hot. The good news is if you see a nice foamy head on the beer you didn't kill the yeast and it should ferment. That doesn't mean it will taste good, but at least you're making beer.

And no, peeking won't necessarily ruin your beer, but refrain from doing it if you can. Every time you crack the lid you provide an opportunity for the beer to get contaminated.

If you can do another batch and pitch the yeast closer to 70 or lower, you should have very good results.

And take notes. Write down your temp, time, gravity and your process. It will help when you have questions here. I also think taking a moment to make some notes makes me a little more careful brewer.

I pitched my first coopers at 80 and I got a beer that taste like apples :( . Ive since brewed 2 more ales and I have not made the same mistake again. It was yucky. Hope yours turns out well!

Lager kit? Did it use an ale yeast? True lagers use a very intricate temperature control with one step being just above freezing.

Read up, This is a great hobby and you can take it to whatever level you want. Extract kits, extract with steeping grains, partial mash, all grain, 5 gallon, 10 gallon, more.. Stove top, propane, electric brewing.

Most of all, Have fun.

96 won't kill the yeast, but it's too hot for continuing fermentation.

Next time try to pitch and ferment around 65 or maybe a bit less for ALE yeast.

If this is a true lager yeast, then those temps are too high. The only way to know is to know exactly what yeast strain it is, or read the instructions. They "might" tell you the proper temps.

After this batch, feel free to simply buy extract and/or steeping grains and hops and bypass a kit. It's easy. There are lots of great extract recipes on this site and in magazines and books.

I like that you are taking notes. I never do that I always wish I did.

The big lopsided head it had seems to have leveled out across the surface, temp is about 56F and should be pretty constant at this point. The "recipe" and again i use that term loosely, says that after approx 3 days the foam will settle, remove the collar to take out the funk that sticks to the sides. Cap it for another three days and ferment until SG is consistent for 2-3 days in a row. Then Bottle, add carbonation pellets, Bottle condition for _?_ weeks at 18 degrees C.

I read that green apple flavors come from aldehyde which yeast will consume during later stages of fermentation.

Aaannd the book I am reading says bottle conditioning at a weeks time is a mistake...How long can you leave the primary on the trub(insert fancy beer word)Before moving to the bottle. At this juncture i do not have a proper secondary container.

Aaannd the book I am reading says bottle conditioning at a weeks time is a mistake...How long can you leave the primary on the trub(insert fancy beer word)Before moving to the bottle. At this juncture i do not have a proper secondary container.

wow that recipe sounds weird.....are you using an ale yeast or a lager yeast? If it is an ale yeast the temp needs raised some I would think. Get it into the lower sixties. Leave it alone and don't do anything with it for 3-4 weeks. Since a secondary is unnecessary and you don't have one, don't use one. Just let it set for 3-4 weeks then bottle. There is zero need to open and clean the gunk off of the fermentor.

If it is a lager yeast, I am clueless.

good deal. The packaging was pretty vague. Labled "yeast" I don't recall but it was probably in quotes too LOL. Ive done some research and coopers changed their fermenting container I have the new one and it doesn't even have an air lock, The lid is held on by two little plastic clips. I'm just not going to mess with it for a while. I will also go ahead and move it to a warmer spot in the house as you suggested.

gravity is down to 1.015 Looks like this is going to be a relly light brew. Not very excited about that. Also I did not a green apple taste. not terrible though, I am going to leave it to condition for another week and test it again before bottling

It will be ok. You should really do some browsing in the recipe section. There is nothing you can't make with individual ingredients. Also read up on the beginner stickies. They procedure for a kit is the SAME procedure for any extract brew. The only thing about a kit is that they package the ingredients all together for you.

Back