First brew, dear lord it's humid in here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
So today I had some time to spare.

I've kicked off my first beer, which is an all grain American Pale Ale, I hope.

1 gallon batch BIAB
2 lbs Canadian pale 2 row
1 oz Crystal 60
.3 oz Mount Hood 5.4 AA at 60 minutes
.1 oz Mount Hood 5.4 AA at 0 minutes.
3g US-05 at pitching

4 litres 60 minutes mash at 67C-ish 152-154F-ish did my best to keep it there
3.6 litre dunk sparge at 75C-ish 167F-ish for 5 minutes

60 minute boil.

I added 1/4 crushed campden tablet as my tap water while tasty and good, according to the city water reprt contains an average of a little of 1mg/l of chlorine, and a maximum of 3mg/l

This seems to be a good time for experimentation as everything I've done before has been either a cider, 90% of them, or a graff.

This weekend the wife convinced me to pick up a wine kit to do a pinot grigio for our late summer party and she helped me throw that kit together, and is being even more nit picky than me about following kit instructions for fermentation temps and directed me to bring it from the basement to the main floor as basement was too cold.

So now I'm doing my first beer, with some leftover hops and crystal 60 from my graff.

Thank the LORD for whoever it was that told me that a spray bottle with water can kill a boilover. Otherwise I would have been trying to clean that off the new stove and explain that burnt smell to the wife when she gets home.

Also thank god I didn't leave this unattended at it has tried to boilover a few times since. we'll have to see how close my boiloff calculations are, and we'll see how closely this turns out to what I was expecting, and if it falls even remotely within the style guidelines.

I love me some Fermcap. My first brew was a disaster thanks to multiple boil overs. Every subsequent one has been a breeze with a few drops of Fermcap. (No, I don't receive a kickback from the manufacturers :p).

given the infrequency with which I suspect I will be doing beers, I opted not to buy any fermcap. This was my very-inexpensive-run-at-beer, since I had the leftover crystal 60 and hops, all I had to buy was 2lbs of 2-row, which was conveniently on sale at my lhbs for 1.00/lb

Efficiency came in around 70% with an OG of 1.058, so I did overshoot, and it looks like I've probably ended up darker thatn what I expected. my recipe assumed a 65% efficiency. I also ended up collecting about 1.1+ gallons of wort.

Latest posts

Back