First Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realjd

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch of beer on Sunday. I bought a Brewers Best kit (with the 5 gal secondary carboy) from a local shop as well as the English Pale Ale ingredients kit.

It went well enough. The biggest issue I had was that I had a boil-over. I was worried about this so I used Fermcap, but I think I put it in too early because I was able to boil over a 33 quart turkey fryer pot with a 3 gallon boil. I'll definitely be more careful next time! If nothing else, this was a good justification to the wife as to why I wanted to use a turkey fryer on the porch instead of doing it in the kitchen.

I'm meeting my family at the end of the month for a wedding. I wanted to have some homebrew to take and share, so I may rush things a bit for this batch. As much as I want to try out that glass carboy and do a secondary (even if it isn't completelty necessary), I'm thinking about doing 2 weeks in the primary fermentation bucket, a cold crash, then bottle it. That will give me 2 weeks in the bottle before I take a 6-pack to share. I know it will still be a bit "green" at this point, but it should at least be drinkable, right? I'll let the rest of the bottles condition for a few more weeks after I get back.

My biggest concern was fermentation temperature. We keep our A/C set to 80 during the day, 76 at night for most of the year and anything colder becomes cost prohibitive very quickly. I built a make-shift swamp cooler out of a cooler full of water, an old undershirt covering the bucket and wicking the water up, and a box fan. It's keeping everything at around 73 according the the stick-on thermometer on the bucket. Not ideal, but better than nothing. There's only so much I can do with the humid air here.

I've decided to keep records of my brewing online since I was asked by multiple family members. As such, more info and pictures are here: http://www.dotybrew.com

Welcome to the obsession and to the troubles of brewing in Florida weather. Try freezing some water in soda bottles and putting them in your cooler and perhaps a thick towel might work a little better than an undershirt since the towel should hold more water. What yeast did you use? Some are ok at higher temps, so you might be ok.

Welcome to the obsession and to the troubles of brewing in Florida weather. Try freezing some water in soda bottles and putting them in your cooler and perhaps a thick towel might work a little better than an undershirt since the towel should hold more water. What yeast did you use? Some are ok at higher temps, so you might be ok.

The kit came with Nottingham yeast.

That's a good idea about the towel and ice. I'll try that when I get home from work. The fermentation seems to be slowing down though so it may be too late.

Nice work. 73 is ok for the ferm temp. Ultimately you'd like to get it down a few extra degrees, but it's awefully hard to do w/o a temp controller/freezer

Nottingham Yeast, according to DanStaryYeast.com, should ferment in the range of 57° to 70°F. Try to bring it down a few degrees, but as cvstrat said, you should be ok.

Back