First Brew Day with the new eBIAB rig...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Finally got time to brew with the new rig. Everything went ok, a few glitches. The re circulation hose idea has to go, didnt work at all... have to rig something else up. 10 gal all grain German Hefe based on the recipe here..

The basket lifter also needs to be modified, the weight of the water plus grain was quite a bit even after i let it drain for some time.

The good news is the process went well, hit all my numbers, but not sure exactly how much i got in the end. My Fermanator doesnt have any markings. I wound up with about 12.5 in the kettle so hopefully i got ten in the tank. I did have a bit more leftover than I thought maybe couple gallons..

The one thing I was disappointed in was the cleaning time... it took much longer to clean than I was hoping for, about 5 hours total for a 10 gal batch...

Cooled down a bit too much i think at the end, still no activity for the yeast...pitched a 2 L starter at about 61... probaby should have been warmer...my water was 51 degrees going to the plate chiller.

brew1.jpg

brew2.jpg

brew3.jpg

brew4.jpg

brew5.jpg

Hmmm Any idea to speed up cleaning times?

Dump the grain, dump the break and hops.

Back-flush your connections and chiller.

Rinse.

Fill with water, circulate warm cleaner through system.

Rinse.

Sanitize necessary equipment.

Bar Keepers Friend when needed.

What kind of chiller are you using? I could see that being the hardest part of cleaning if it's a plate chiller.

What about the cleaning took long? Remove the element (I see a TC fitting), temp sensor and just spray it out in the sink and hit with a scrubby. Boom. For the basket just dump the grain in a trash bag and then spray out too. done.

What issue with the recirc hose did you have?

Divulge more about your recirc hose problem.

For the wet grain weight:

Total Lbs. = 0.9 * Total Grain Wt. + (0.125 gal/lb of grain * Total Grain Wt. * 8.34 lb/gal (H20))

For 30 lbs of grain

0.9*30+(0.125*30*8.34)
= 58 lbs

I could see a CIP type system, basically I took everything apart and cleaned all the silicone seals fittings etc...maybe I am being too picky about the way I clean this new system, to me new.

actually my plate chiller is easy, I just hook it up to faucet and back flush it throughout

Dump the grain, dump the break and hops.

Back-flush your connections and chiller.

Rinse.

Fill with water, circulate warm cleaner through system.

Rinse.

Sanitize necessary equipment.

Bar Keepers Friend when needed.

Its a Co Brew System design... I want to spread it out more in the mash instead of a central hose... have a copper tube that circles and has holes throughout...

yeah i could believe that! I used a 3/4 black iron pipe as a "rail system" basically i can slide it from the kettle straight to sink... bolted to studs on each end... the main trouble was the stupid hook design wanted to "cam out" with a load on it... have to fix that.

Divulge more about your recirc hose problem.

For the wet grain weight:

Total Lbs. = 0.9 * Total Grain Wt. + (0.125 gal/lb of grain * Total Grain Wt. * 8.34 lb/gal (H20))

For 30 lbs of grain

0.9*30+(0.125*30*8.34)
= 58 lbs

well there isnt really anything to seal it to.. on the kettle side I mean...there is return fittings, but they are way too large for the hose they sent.

What's wrong with it just lying there? But sure you can rig up a sparge arm or something if you want.

I recirculate mash in my eBIAB and have had zero issues with my beer or my process. I have a camlock fitting at the end of the hose which helps it to sit down in the wort.

I recirculate mash in my eBIAB and have had zero issues with my beer or my process. I have a camlock fitting at the end of the hose which helps it to sit down in the wort.

I need to come up with something like this. Anyway you can post a pic?

Back