First brew. Concerned about OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexorotten

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed my first batch ever today. Midwest supplies' Liberty Cream Ale. I wanted to do a full boil so started boil at 6 gallons. The wort didn't quite boil down to 5 gallons, probably like 5.5 gallons. Anyway, the OG was 1.038. Estimated OG was 1.042 -1.046 Not a big deal right, just a little weaker beer? Also, I forgot to calibrate my hydrometer, and don't have distilled water to do so.

It's honestly a bit tough to read extract beer. However that lower reading is probably relying on that other half gallon to have been boiled off. I wouldn't worry about it, you're good! And congrats and welcome to the addiction. And yes, the lower numbers just means a titch less alc

Your OG isn't that far off. It'll still be good. I've brewed that same kit, and it's a tasty beer. I plan on brewing the AG version some time soon..

I stopped taking hydrometer readings after 3 extract batches. The OG was off on each one but they all tasted great.

It's times like these when you need to think about the primary idea of the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.. Don't Panic.

I have done 4 extract batches and the OG has yet to hit right where its suppose to be. It's close, never right on. The beer will be fine. Make sure you are really patient with the whole, this is my weakness.

Back