First brew complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats and welcome to the obsession! Also, close that lid!! I know it's tempting, but you should leave it closed and leave it alone. Every time you open it is just a chance for contamination. I've seen sooo many posts where new brewers say "well everything was going great until I opened the lid and now its infected!!"

Congrats and welcome to the obsession! Also, close that lid!! I know it's tempting, but you should leave it closed and leave it alone. Every time you open it is just a chance for contamination. I've seen sooo many posts where new brewers say "well everything was going great until I opened the lid and now its infected!!"

I was told that the only way to get a good reading is to open it up every day and check my hydrometer. After the second time I opened it I started seriously worrying that I may have gotten an infection. It doesn't really look like one, but I am a hardcore worrier.

Does not look like an infection. Also, checking the gravity everyday is a good way to A. get an infection, and B. have no beer left when it comes time to bottle. Unless of course you are just putting the hydrometer straight in your bucket, in which case its just a good way to get an infection. I would recommend a hydrometer test jar and wine/beer thief if you dont already have one.

Take a gravity reading before pitching yeast when you're done brewing, and take another one after a few weeks when fermentation is done. I usually take mine (when brewing Pale Ales, IPA's, etc) right after cooling the wort, and after about 2.5-3 weeks when Im ready to cold crash. Then Ill check it 2-3 times over the course of a few days to make sure gravity is constant. All in all I check my gravity a total of 3-4 times (usually 3) during the course of making a batch.

Also, welcome to the hobby!

Taking a reading every day is definitely overkill. You will be wasting a lot of good beer and risking infection. Once your airlock stops bubbling you can check the FG to see if it is where you expect it. Check again in another day or 2 to be sure it stays the same. You can do a third reading in another few days but if the FG is where you expected and consistent after the 2nd reading, you should be fine to transfer, bottle or keg. Welcome to the obsession!!

Do not open it every day, that was very bad advice. Leave it alone for a couple weeks and then you can check your gravity. Patience is an important part of brewing and can be difficult when starting out. Just let the yeast do their thing. Congrats on your first brew! :mug:

No don't open it up every day. It will finish when it finishes..I let mine go about 2 weeks before I ever open it to take a reading. I'd say a week minimum..

When you take your hydrometet readings, take 1 reading then wait 2 days and take another. You are trying to see if the reading is consistent. This will tell you that you have reached full attenuation/fermentation is complete.

However I give my batches another week even after this so they can finish and clean up some potential off flavors that were given off in the early stages.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the advice, guys. I opened my pale up yesterday, before receiving you guys' advice about not opening it. Took a photo. Will post that this evening, but I don't plan on opening it up again for the next couple of weeks.

Once your airlock stops bubbling you can check the FG to see if it is where you expect it.

I wouldn't go by the airlock activity..it's a poor indication of fermentation. The airlock could stop bubbling after 3 days but it could still keep fermenting for another few days after that.

I wouldn't go by the airlock activity..it's a poor indication of fermentation. The airlock could stop bubbling after 3 days but it could still keep fermenting for another few days after that.

I always like to make mention (cant seem to find it online) of the youtube video that shows an empty carboy with airlock bubbling. Airlock activity is a good way to indicate fermentation, but just because its not bubbling doesnt mean fermentation has stopped

Airlock activity is a good way to indicate fermentation, but just because its not bubbling doesnt mean fermentation has stopped

Sure, a bubbling airlock can be a good indication that fermentation has started and is happening, but I wouldn't use it to determine when fermentation is complete. That's all I was trying to say. The bubbles could stop, but it could still have lots of time needed to keep fermenting.

That's been the hardest part about going to a conical from glass primary - I can't watch the fermentation. Definitely a hobby that requires some patience...

Sure, a bubbling airlock can be a good indication that fermentation has started and is happening, but I wouldn't use it to determine when fermentation is complete. That's all I was trying to say. The bubbles could stop, but it could still have lots of time needed to keep fermenting.

Oh I know. I was just trying to back up the point you were trying to make :mug:

Latest posts

Back