First Brew, Cascade with Citra Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastefulNudity

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title says, I'm planning my first brew for next week (once my temperature controller gets here) :ban: I bought a setup that came with a free extract Pale Ale kit. It came with Specialty Grains (2.25lb Pale Ale Malt, 1lb 40L Malt), 5lb Extra Pale Extract, and 2oz of Cascade hops, which are scheduled as such:

1.5oz Cascade @ 60mins
0.5oz Cascade @ 15mins

Being that I can't leave well enough alone, I went to the LHBS and picked up 1oz of Citra (wanted Amarillo but they were out). I had planned on dry hopping in the secondary with only the 1oz Citra. Now I'm wondering if that's a good idea. Is dry hopping with Citra a bad idea if it's not included in the boil? Is it going to clash with or overpower the Cascade? Should I maybe switch things around, like replacing the Cascade @ 15mins with Citra and dry hopping with .5oz of both? Or should I go buy another 1oz Cascade and also include that in the dry hop? :confused: Thanks for the help.

Citra and Cascade are a great combo IMHO...

Maybe try this???

3/4 oz Cascade @60

1/2 oz Cascade @ 30

1/2 oz Cascade and 1/4 oz Citra @ 15

1/4 oz Cascade and 3/4 oz Citra Dry hop

Just my .02

Thanks guys. I brewed yesterday and ended up using the original 1.5@60 and .5@15, just going to dry hop with the Citra in the secondary. Fermenting away at a cool 61 degrees. Appreciate it!

Back