First Bottle Bomb...Yikes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie_Man

Reaction score
Well this sucks, I just had my first bottle bomb. It was a pretty violent explosion, glass went out over the six pack holder and traveled a few feet across the room. Thankfully no one, or none of my pets, were in the area.

I think it may be a bottle issue as the other beers taste pretty normal and have been appropriately carbonated. I chilled six a week ago and left the rest at room temperature until there was more room in the fridge. I'm pretty disappointed because I really cleaned these bottles. They were all rinsed after use, soaked in cleanser, scrubbed with a bottle brush, rinsed, and then sanitized with StarSan just prior to bottling. I even entered this beer into a competition. I took the bottles that were left at room temperature and moved them to a fridge after making some extra room. Don't know if I was being overly cautious, but I put on safety goggles and gloves when moving the bottles; as I said it was a pretty violent explosion. I think I'll bottle condition in a plastic bin from now on.

Sorry for your loss. I have yet to have one myself. I typically keg my beer now. I do have a batch bottle conditioning right now. A hefeweizen that reached FG in 7 days. A little nervous that I may have a bottle bomb. Never bottled that soon.

Back