First Boil Success (maybe).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfire

Reaction score
I did my first full 5.5 gallon boil last night and things went great. From reading here, I was able to watch for and prevent any boil overs! After everything was said & done I went to pitch my yeast, which I THOUGHT I had smacked about 4 hours earlier and found that one of the nutrient pouches (there appeared to be two in the pack) didn't burst. After some quick searches on this forum, I decided to pitch it anyway and cut open the pouch and add it to the wort. It's only been about 11 hours and so far nothing in the airlock yet.

How long should I give it and when should I be concerned (more than I am now)?

Thanks again to everyone on this board for all the help!

jfire

ive had brews take up to almost three days before seeing signs... it is very unnerving but just be patient and let the little guys do their job.

dont worry youll be fine. somtimes it takes a little while . (up to 48 hours) thers a lot of variables that go into this. Like aeration or sg of the wort ,or pitching temperature or how cold your fermentation room is,anyway just relax it will happen. Give it about 4 days if its not going yet take another gravity check this will tell u if maybe the wort has already or is in the process of fermenting if it has dropped on gravity and u didnt see bubbles u may have had a airleak in the bucket. (just relax)

Stupid question.... Do I put that small, plastic lid back on the airlock, or just add vodka and leave the small lid off?

Stupid question.... Do I put that small, plastic lid back on the airlock, or just add vodka and leave the small lid off?

put it back on, it has small holes to vent and is actually part of what makes the airlock work the way it does, (not letting the valve climb high enough to allow o2 in)

Back