First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jay

Reaction score
Howdy Folks. After a lot of trolling on this site and a year since I've last brewed anything, I decided to try my first BIAB and let me tell you - I am SOLD. I couldn't believe how simple this is compared to a full out all grain brewing session. Anyone want to buy a mash tun?? Haha

I brewed Edworts Haus Pale ale simply because it is one of the few all grains that I have done (just couldn't find the time), and I know what the end result should taste like. I did the full volume, no sparge method and even with barely squeezing the bag I got 74% efficiency. Volumes were spot on (thanks Priceless BIAB calculator) with 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, which is bubbling away right now in the basement. Total session including cleanup was less than 4 hours, sure beats the 6 + hours it would take for all grain.

Only problem I have now is to figure out which of the 10 recipes I want to brew next. :D

Congrats on your first batch! Sounds like a resounding success.

Just an FYI, don't let anyone tell you BIAB isn't all grain. If you're using all grains, then guess what, it's an "all grain" method for brewing. The only difference between BIAB and other multi vessel method is that we move the grain around via a bag, the other methods move the water around via gravity or pumps.

Congrats on your first batch! Sounds like a resounding success.

Just an FYI, don't let anyone tell you BIAB isn't all grain. If you're using all grains, then guess what, it's an "all grain" method for brewing. The only difference between BIAB and other multi vessel method is that we move the grain around via a bag, the other methods move the water around via gravity or pumps.

Some people say that BIAB isn't all grain? I've not ever heard this.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for using the calculator, as always let me know if you had any requests or issues.

I've got beersmith 2 and I just start to mess with it and say forget it and look at your calculator. A couple slight mods on yours and I'm perfect. I'm trying to figure out how to put it in beersmith. Not enough time and I don't have a laptop when I sit at home and browse the interweb.

Congrats! I really started enjoying homebrewing the most when I switched to BIAB. Start filling your pipeline so you never run out of homebrew!

I've got beersmith 2 and I just start to mess with it and say forget it and look at your calculator. A couple slight mods on yours and I'm perfect. I'm trying to figure out how to put it in beersmith. Not enough time and I don't have a laptop when I sit at home and browse the interweb.

Thanks. Definitely one of my pet peeves with beersmith is getting it set up properly.

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words. I did have one other problem/non-problem with my brew day. With a new process, I didn't know what kind of temperature loss to expect on the mash. My target was 152 but once it settled on 154 I left it expecting it to drop down to 152 over the next 10-15 minutes. Well after 30 minutes it was still at 154 so I left off the insulated blanket after stirring. After the whole hour it was still at 153 - chaulk it up with inexperience and a good problem to have I guess.

Good job, with experience it will only get easier :)

Thanks for the bag! I bought it a year ago and never used it until now.

Back