First BIAB results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
My first all grain/BIAB just hit 4 weeks old in the bottle, and I opened one for the first time last night. Flavor was great, but it seemed to be lacking some. It was the NB Cascadian Dark Ale BIAB recipe kit. Its almost as if some of the good flavors got left behind, so Im assuming this could be a mash issue. I also was not able to get a real good vigorous boil going because of an electric stove, so that could potentially be my issue as well. It also came out a bit over carbed, I used the fermenters favorites fizz drops, and followed the 1/12 oz bottle instructions, but I think I may try and trim them up a bit on the next run to try and dial it back some.

Over all the beer is great, and I am very happy with it for my first AG/BIAB. I managed to get my hands on a burner, so hopefully I can continue my quest of perfecting my methods. Also, if you have any input as to the possible reasons for the issues above, any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Recipe? Measurements - gravity, volumes, temps etc. ? "Not enough flavor" is a pretty vague problem.

I, too, just did my first AG/BIAB batch this weekend after doing a lot of extract/specialty grain batches. I converted to a burner a while back, and it will make a big improvement. Did you take pre-boil, OG and FG measurements? Mine were not what I'd hoped for, so I'm working on that. The jury is still out since I just brewed it yesterday.

I'd definitely recommend doing batch priming with a bottling bucket instead of fizz drops. NB has a good priming sugar calculator on their site. It makes it a lot easier to dial in the carbonation for a particular style, and all the bottles will be carbonated the same.

Recipe? Measurements - gravity, volumes, temps etc. ? "Not enough flavor" is a pretty vague problem.

It's the jakes CDA recipe from NB, by not enough flavor I meant it tasted like the full flavor from the grain, hops, etc was left behind a bit. The taste is great, but it's not quite as 'bold' as I thought it would be. I fermented at 65 for three weeks and then bottled. OG was 1.060 on the nose, it finished at about 1.010.

For the grain side - there is nothing really "bold" in there. Base malt and a ton of crystal. If you finished at 1.010 with that much crystal, you might want to take a look at your mash temps. Lower temps = drier and not as malt forward.

For the hops, the kettle hops seems fine, but no Dry Hop? If you want a big, bold hop punch, you'll want 2+oz of dry hops in a 3 gallon batch. Did you let that 0min addition steep for a while or cool it right away?

Also, the meager boil will likely reduce the IBU. That can throw off the balance and leave everything else a bit "flat".

Back