First BIAB and some lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBo985

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So last night I did my first BIAB and it was my first AG as well. I have done extract brewing so I am no stranger to brewing. I use a propane burner and a 9 gallon aluminum brew pot (turkey fryer kit). I brewed up a chocolate stout that I will later rack onto a few raspberry in secondary. The brew went pretty well overall but learned of a few critical points that I need to nail down a bit and some equipment upgrades. Number one upgrade is a new thermometer. I used an analog and a small kitchen digital and I found my temp accuracy was off, not to a point of a failed mash but enough to make me think “merr it’s not perfect”. Next upgrade to be made will be a bigger pot. Mine worked for a 5.5gallon final volume batch but I had to sparge as I could not fit a full volume no sparge. While not necessary it would make life so much easier.

Now the critical points I found. Strike temp using propane is a fickle thing, you think you hit it so you cut heat just to find 2 mins after it continued to raise 5-10 degrees above so now you have to stir and wait for it to drop. Mash temp actually came out pretty close but had to adjust a bit during as it’s a bit cold up in Canada right now. What went the most wrong for me is the mash out. My analog and digital thermometers have been matched the whole time so I opted to just throw the analog in to measure the mashout temp rise. Well after 8-10 mins with heat on and I did not see much of a temp raise I pulled the thermometer cleaned it and re inserted it only to find my temp was actually in the 190’s and it was supposed to be 170. So off the heat and in to a snowbank outside it went. After 5-8 mins out there temp was still in the 180’s so I pulled grain and sparged with 170 water. The rest of the boil went as usual except for the boil over as I was heating to get the initial boil (you think you can turn your back for 30 seconds to take a leak and the beer gods laugh lol).

Over all was a great experience and I learned a lot. I didn’t check my PH so I am hoping I am under 6 so that mashout overtemp won’t shoot my wort full of tannins but time will tell. Can’t wait to start my next one and try to nail down the process to a T........with a new thermometer haha. Cheers!

If I was brewing in Canada in the winter, I would do my mash and sparge inside and boil outside if I HAD to.

Any easy effective way to keep temps stable is to put your kettle in a warm oven.

Thanks for the reply’s! I actually did just what you all suggest I heated/boiled out in my (not heated) garage then took the mash inside for the mashing period then back outside to the burner for my mash out. Next year when I buy a house I will be making sure there is a room with a drain in the floor to turn into a brew room that is for sure.

I did not know about skipping the mash out, every example I have read and even my BeerSmith saids to do a mashout so I was going with that. Either way my wort is bubbling away happily and in 6-8 weeks I should be drinking something great!

So 7 day update. I just checked my gravity and I hit my target of 1.012 on the nose and it is holding. This was not a very active ferment at all (so much so that I thought it may have stalled) but I started at SG 1.056 and the hydrometer does not lie. The flavour of the wort is that of a typical stout but with a burnt flavour (not a bad flavour but not what I was expecting) on the finish. Some chocolate came through but it is still very young. I plan to rack the 5.25 gallons into secondary tomorrow on top of 2lbs of raspberries and let sit for 14-21 days. For my first stout and my first BIAB/all grain I am happy with the results so far and hopefully things mellow out in secondary and a few weeks in bottles.

I like to BIAB/Mashout. Seems to help with my numbers. I just make sure grain bag is off the bottom, by a good distance. Stir the entire time. (may be it's the stirring that gets the sugars out and not the temp). While stirring, keep watch of the temp. As I approach 170, just lift the bag. I see no reason to hold it for 10. The grain has been over 160 for about 10 min. anyway, so I figure this is good enough.

I find anything amber/dark benefits a good flavor-melding time.
Like a good stew.
MMMmmmm stout and stewwwww....

Interesting information about not needing to mash out. I dunk sparge my bag in 170*F water and stir for a few minuntes to wash the residual sugars off. I guess technically it's also a mash out since it's being done at that temperature.

That is the beauty of BIAB. We can choose to do what we want exactly how we want. Hope this helps.

It's the extra 10 minutes of mashing that helps with numbers, not the actual mashing out process itself. If you are concerned, just mash 10 mins longer.

Thanks for all the reply's. I think on my next one (this weekend) when it comes to the end of the mash i with just light the burner on medium low and stir for 10 mins or until it hits 170. I have a big metal colander with small holes that fits the top of my basket i put my bag in and i use that to get an even pour over sparge as it sits over my pot. serves two purposes, one to rinse more sugars off the grains and second my kettle is only 9 gallons so it gets my water up to pre boil level. We will see how that goes on Saturday but i am just excited to do another brew day! Plus i just got beersmith2 mobile so get to play with that this time to! will update in a week after the chocolate stout has been in secondary for 2 weeks on the raspberries.

I like to BIAB/Mashout. Seems to help with my numbers. I just make sure grain bag is off the bottom, by a good distance. Stir the entire time. (may be it's the stirring that gets the sugars out and not the temp). While stirring, keep watch of the temp. As I approach 170, just lift the bag. I see no reason to hold it for 10. The grain has been over 160 for about 10 min. anyway, so I figure this is good enough.

The reason mash our helps with your numbers is that the conversion wasn't done yet and it got closer to done as you raised the temperature. Giving your mash more time or milling finer so it completes in the period that you mash will accomplish the same thing.

If I was brewing in Canada in the winter, I would do my mash and sparge inside and boil outside if I HAD to.

Any easy effective way to keep temps stable is to put your kettle in a warm oven.

I'm in Canada and I do this. I do it year round though as I find I have total temp control and my brew day is more efficient. BTW, I'm using one of your bags. Excellent product, sir!

Latest posts

Back