First Belgian Recipe. What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinneths

Reaction score
6.0 lbs Golden Light Dry Malt Extract
2.0 lbs Cane Sugar
1.0 lb Weyermann CaraMunich II, crushed
0.50 lb Weyermann Carafa II, crushed
0.50 lb Weyermann Dark Munich, crushed
0.25 lb Roasted Barley, crushed
WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
4 oz Tettnang hops

:confused:

I need to educate myself on hygrometer readings and how to use them to make great recipes.

My goal is a rich darker Belgian. A nice strong Belgian.

So what does everyone think?

What's the batch size and hopping schedule for this recipe?

As far as the malt bill:
I would drop the Carafa II and the roasted barley, the dark Belgian beers have more of a caramel and dark fruit (raisin, plum, fig) flavor from malts like dark caramunich and special B, as opposed to a roasted character that you would get from the roasted barley. I'm not sure light dry extract is the best choice in base malt, it'll probably work, but a pilsner extract might work better.

What's the batch size and hopping schedule for this recipe?

As far as the malt bill:
I would drop the Carafa II and the roasted barley, the dark Belgian beers have more of a caramel and dark fruit (raisin, plum, fig) flavor from malts like dark caramunich and special B, as opposed to a roasted character that you would get from the roasted barley. I'm not sure light dry extract is the best choice in base malt, it'll probably work, but a pilsner extract might work better.

Pie man is right on. You could even replace 1lb of the sugar with some dark candi syrup.

Pitch the yeast in the low to mid 60's and slowly let the temp rise. Give it plenty of time to finish. Belgian yeasts can take off fast and then take a long time to get the last few points.

Like the temp schedule listed above.

Also agree on spending the $6 for dark candi syrup. And get 1/2-3/4 lb of Special B in there (replace the Carafa and drop the Caramunich lower).

I substituted the other grains with light wheat malt, cara aroma, und light Munich.... changed sugars to 1lb amber candy sugar and 1lb clear candy sugar... time to brew, dudes! =)

I substituted the other grains with light wheat malt, cara aroma, und light Munich.... changed sugars to 1lb amber candy sugar and 1lb clear candy sugar... time to brew, dudes! =)

hmmm a little wheat could be good. How much are you adding.

IMO I avoid "candy sugar" unless it is Belgian caramelized sugar.

iambeer said:
hmmm a little wheat could be good. How much are you adding.

IMO I avoid "candy sugar" unless it is Belgian caramelized sugar.

^ This. Belgian candi syrup is different from the crystallized "candi" sugar. The clear candi sugar most LHBS carry is just table sugar in bigger chunks. The dark crystals are slightly caramelized, so they will add some flavor. Save yourself some money on the clear and use table sugar if you do. :)

I like a little wheat in my belgians, not more than a lb though. Recipe looks pretty solid. +1 on candi sugar. Its crystalized sugar in larger form. The amber candi sugar is likely carmelized, but will not have the same flavor as D or D2 syrup.

If you wanted to save the $6, you can try making your own inverted syrup in the future. Its kinda fun (you have to be careful not to get burned though). The end product does not match the D or D2 syrup exactly, but you can get a lot of the same rummy/raisin flavors.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

Back