First beer, possible stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesM63

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Brewed my first beer last week (NB Dead Ringer) and it's been in primary for exactly a week. I checked gravity today and it's sitting at 1.035 (9 brix).

Should I have cause for alarm or just let it sit for another week?

Info:
NB Dead Ringer Extract kit. OG: 1.065
Pitched S-05 at ambient (65F)
Moved to the basement where ambient is 60F

I'm by all means a beginner with this but your temp may be too low and its slowing the yeast down. Looks like the reading drooped a decent amount in a week, maybe move it to a warmer place in your house and see what happens. Just a thought, good luck!

[H]ey wes! ;)

I just started out myself so I am not sure what the answer to this would be myself but I don't think a weeks very long, you might be fine.

Well, I decided to rouse the yeast and bring it up into a warmer room. My thermometer shows it as 72F ambient in this room. I'm sure it will take a bit for the beer to get warmed up.

Next i'll try to find a room that's warm, but not this warm. Hopefully under 70F but not by much. (66-68F)

[H]ey Philly :)

If you are using a refractometer, you need to do a correction, as the FG readings are not straightforward. Several online sites available, including Northern Brewer.

I don't know what the OG was, but for example: if you started at 15 Brix, and are now at 9, your gravity is 1.020.

If you are using a refractometer, you need to do a correction, as the FG readings are not straightforward. Several online sites available, including Northern Brewer.

I don't know what the OG was, but for example: if you started at 15 Brix, and are now at 9, your gravity is 1.020.

Interesting, I am using a refractometer. OG was 16 brix, roughly 1.065

According to that URL using the "Brix to Gravity during and after fermentation converter" on NB's webpage, i'm sitting at 1.017 FG.

Thanks! That helps some, looks like it's not off as far as I thought.

If it's been fermenting for a week already and the SG is down at 1.017 it won't do your brew any harm whatsoever to put it into a room at 70*, or even a bit higher, and infact will probably get the yeast happily back into action cleaning up some of the less desirable fermentation by-products.

Did you calculate a value for FG ahead of time?

Umm no? It's just the kit from NB, they don't give a target FG. I just assumed 1.030 was a little off.

A bit of reading seems like most people were hitting 1.014 or 1.012 with the same OG of 1.065

EDIT: Awesome, Ogri. My plan is to let it set here in the warmer room for another week then rack to secondary.

Well after adjusting for fermenting wort I'd say you're right where you should be at 1 week in. No adjustments needed.

Back