First beer is a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just opened my first beer. Bottled it during a storm with flash flooding nearby last Saturday so one week in the bottle. This has to be the best pale ale ever!!!! Has carbonation, not perfect but it created a nice head. Has a slight fruitiness, kind of berry to me, was warm the first couple of days of fermentation but maybe it is the ounce each of ammarillo and cascade during the boil or the ounce of Mosaic at flame out in a 3 gallon batch.

Last edited:
PSX_20180623_191908.jpg
Realized the post is nothing without a photo

Last edited:
If beer clarity and a solid head on it are important to you, give it another couple weeks in the bottle for the yeast to settle out and the beer to mature a bit. Otherwise, drink it as you wish.

If beer clarity and a solid head on it are important to you, give it another couple weeks in the bottle for the yeast to settle out and the beer to mature a bit. Otherwise, drink it as you wish.
I don't want murky but clarity is not so important to me. A good head because it adds a lot to the look and taste to me is desired. I planned to wait two weeks but had to try one to see if I had done things right. Next weekend they will be great.

Congratulations - that sounds like a tasty first brew!

Excellent job!!

You picked some awesome hops, so again, great job!

You mentioned a slight fruitiness or kind of reminiscent of a berry flavor. Could be the hops, true, but is also often associated with the yeast strain you selected along with the temperature of fermentation.

Great job...ENJOY your awesome home brew!!

I don't want murky but clarity is not so important to me. A good head because it adds a lot to the look and taste to me is desired. I planned to wait two weeks but had to try one to see if I had done things right. Next weekend they will be great.
If you dont try your first beer from your first batch a little early..how will you know when you’ve hit proper carbonation? You took one for the team! Congrats to you. You deserve another..in about a week.

Took one for the team, omg, I think there is my signature line in there

Us-05 @ 75fg

Since so tasty i had to store it under basement stairs so I don't drink it before weekend...well except for the two that mysteriously ended up in the fridge.

I'm closing in on my 100th batch and I still have a beer out of every batch only a week after bottling so my curiosity is as strong as it was nearly 500 gallons ago. Congrats on the debut brew!

thinking of donig another kit soon , anyone have any suggestions? i like all beer lol

Just pick something that you'll enjoy drinking about 8 weeks from now give or take. Most ales only take 2-4 weeks to ferment, but most are better after another month or so in the bottle/keg... so plan ahead. For example, I'm already planning beers I want to drink in football season.

Just pick something that you'll enjoy drinking about 8 weeks from now give or take. Most ales only take 2-4 weeks to ferment, but most are better after another month or so in the bottle/keg... so plan ahead. For example, I'm already planning beers I want to drink in football season.

You find this true for IPAs as well? I've read a lot of people saying they like to drink their IPAs as fresh as possible because the hops flavors fade pretty quickly. I have a DIPA bottle conditioning(my 2nd batch) on it's 10th day which I'm dying to try but have held off so far. Going to the beach next week so I'm going to try one soon and as long as it doesn't suck take a bunch with me

I did say "most are better" and you've brought one of the styles that does not fit that criterion in my opinion (and the opinions of many like you said)... the IPA. The other is wheat beer. Most people like those fresh, but I'd say browns, ambers, stouts and porters are better with age. It still takes some planning though as I see many people brew a lawn mower beer in early August when it's super hot out and then by the time it's ready the temps are starting to dip and they wish they had a different beer. Just be sure what you're making will be as welcome as possible when you're ready to consume it, that's all I'm saying. I don't like stouts in July and I don't want a fruit wheat in January...

I can remember the near amazement after sampling my first homebrew. Holy cow! That was pretty easy! Once you get over the amazement, you start to pick apart your beers with a more critical palate. And then the obsession begins.

Enjoy!

Congrats on the first brew!

I think the hardest thing I ever had to learn was that as eager as I was sample my first brew after the first week, then second week, etc... I've always found for me (YMMV) is that I bottle age anything for a minimum of a month (30 days) before I sample it... But if your happy that's all that matters!

Cheers!

Now just over three weeks in the bottle and it is even better. It does not pour with such a big head unless I am aggressive but the foam seems to last longer and more bubbles seen in the beer. The hop flavor is more pronounced, less sweet, still has the berry, but more bite which is what I wanted.
Oh and I have been drinking it since day 12.

Back