First beer in the fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerdhg

Reaction score
Well, I had a couple of buddies come over and help brew our first offering to the beer gods. :mug:

Did a recipe from Austin Home Brew - Honey Wheat Ale

We hit the SG of 1.047 pretty spot on.

After a day in the ale pail, its giving off some sulphury smells, and is obviously bubbling away. Can also see some krausen on top of the beer through the bucket.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes from here on out.

isnt it a great feeling? I like to go in my brew closet and just watch the airlock bubble for a few minutes. Its a stress reliever for sure.

Nice! I just brewed my 1st batch yesterday! And to the post above, I actually just came out of my spare bedroom after watching the airlock bubble. Awesome Feeling!!

I brewed my first batch yesterday as well. I'm looking at the airlock bubble right now. It feels great. I'm already planning my next batch.

Gratz to the OP and the others that got their first brews going! Now you have a couple weeks to think about what the next brew will be. Either do the next one on bottling day, or wait to make sure the first batch turns out fine and get on to the next one.

I did my first batch yesterday as well it's going to be a Rasberry Wheat Hefeweisen, but my airlock isn't doing anything. But from what I've read on here I need to be patient and give it time, I'm going nuts though wondering if everything is ok! I know I know RDWHAHB! :mug:

Its sooo addicting, i started last winter. So far every batch i've made has been fantastic, about to make an Oatmeal stout today, and rack an octoberfest over to a secondary.. It's going to be a good day.

Defintely a memorable day!

Took a gravity reading last night and it was down to 1.026 from 1.047 on Saturday, and didn't taste too bad!

Things are moving along!

Good on you. Now ignore it while the yeast does the rest of the job. I know, its a tough thing to just ignore it but the yeast needs time, not interruptions. Give it another 2 1/2 weeks before you bother them again.

Find something to do, like buying another fermenter bucket and some more extract. Read about brewing, read about brew in a bag. Think about what kind of beer you like to drink and plan the recipe to get you that kind of beer. Learn about how to ensure your priming sugar is evenly mixed.

I am the type that will look at my fermenter two or three times a day. and yes, i admit, i am an airlock sniffer. :D

Started my first last friday (Amber Ale) and needless to say, I feel like a kid on Christmas, I can't wait to unwrap my toy! Waking up this weekend hearing my blowoff burp made for a good weekend indeed. Stable temps and patience for a few weeks and we'll see.

Up next, a bourbon barrel porter for the summer :D

I am the type that will look at my fermenter two or three times a day. and yes, i admit, i am an airlock sniffer.

I hear you.
Due to a good craigslist gear find, I have my very first 3 batches bubbling away together in the basement.
I count bubbles, sniff them in order, put them to bed, etc. I'm sad that #1 has slowed down.

I just couldn't wait long enough to taste a finished batch before moving on. I think Good job on them, but if they all taste like weasel spit then I will drink them proudly...and alone.

Just wait until you do your first batch in a carboy!!! I brewed on Sunday night, and can't stop watching the process take place RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!! It's a beautiful thing I tell you. My first 3 batches were in buckets, it's so damn fun watching that airlock! Well done! And yes, patience and temps are key.

:off:Burton Air -

Did a simple wheat (nothing fancy) and added unsweetened countrytime lemonade packet at bottling. the type you would pour into a 16oz bottle of water. one packet per gallon. got the recipe from another brewer on here. SWMBO LOVES it. i would drop the amount to 1 pack per 2 gal. (personally)

Sorry, :off:

Just wait until you do your first batch in a carboy!!! I brewed on Sunday night, and can't stop watching the process take place RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!! It's a beautiful thing I tell you. My first 3 batches were in buckets, it's so damn fun watching that airlock! Well done! And yes, patience and temps are key.

HEY! Those yeast are reproducing in there, you voyeur! :D

I am the type that will look at my fermenter two or three times a day. and yes, i admit, i am an airlock sniffer.

You mean there are people that aren't airlock sniffers??!?!?!

Back