First beer in carboy and how I hate Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
So everything with my first beer (Bavarian Hefeweissbier) Went really smooth except for the pellet hops. After a few minutes of the hops being in the kettle I knew I was going to regret it. My beer turned a sickly green. Finallly after the boil When I was Putting the wort in to carboy, Hops sludge clogged up the screen. Finally I just dumped it all in Hops sludge and all. After I use up the rest of these pellets on future batches its only leaf from here on in.

You can put the hops in a bag in the boil which will keep a lot of the hop particles out. I usually just toss them in the boil and when I transfer into the carboy I filter most of it out with a strainer. The rest of that in the carboy will settle out.

Extra fine mesh bags contain my pellet hops. I zip tie the top end of one to the handle of my kettle, that way I can easily retrieve and reopen the bag for the next addition, almost no hop material in my strainer. When I did get a lot of hop material in the fermenter, it settled down to the bottom and did not maki it into the secondary or bottling bucket. Whole leaf hops are seasonal and sometimes harder to get in as many varieties.

Your beer won't be green and pellet hops in your fermenter won't hurt anything. I've never tried to filter them out when going into primary, and I've never noticed any detrimental effects.

Also, leaf hops are a bigger pain to work with than pellets IMHO. You want clogging? They'll clog up a toilet I bet.

Then you'll ***** about how much beer whole hops actually absorb, and how much of a pain it is to try to siphon a big beer with a lot of leaf hops in it.

Then you'll realize that all that hop gunk from the pellets just settles in with the trub and is left behind when you rack or bottle. And it doesn't affect the color of the beer one bit....if it did no one would be using them (including many commercial breweries) and we'd all be making green beers.

I've seen a number of green beers, many of them are realy quite good... though I don't know if the green comes from the hops or something else. Eitherway, even if it did stay green, is it a big deal? If it tastes good....

It will be fine. I toss pellet hops right in the boil without a bag. Much of it settles out when you chill and whirlpool and most of the rest ends up in the trub.

I usually scale my AG batches to 5.25 or 5.5 gallons so I don't worry about leaving some at the bottom of the BK and fermenter.

It will be fine. I toss pellet hops right in the boil without a bag. Much of it settles out when you chill and whirlpool and most of the rest ends up in the trub.

I usually scale my AG batches to 5.25 or 5.5 gallons so I don't worry about leaving some at the bottom of the BK and fermenter.

I use both pellets and leaf hops. I really preferred the pellets, as I have a pump and those darn leaf hops will plug up the whole works. So I bag the leaf hops in the "hops spider" but the pellets go right into the boil.

Any hops debris from pellet hops will settle out with the trub in the end, so they are actually easiest to deal with.

Stick with the pellots if you want. All you have to do is get another pan and dump the sluge in it to clear it then get back to pouring and straining.Im trying to keep my whole leaf hops for late additions and maybe dryhopping.If you dryhopp with pellots you may want to get a hop bag although i still got through all the pellet debris in suspension when racking without a pellot bag.

LOL I wrote this right after I had cleaned everything up and was pretty drunk. I did use a muslin bag for the pellets but seemed like most of the junk came out. I took a peek acouple minutes ago and sure enough its all on the bottom of the carboy

Yeah sometimes i just dump all of it in the fermenter,in my beers where i dont use a lot of hops.
They can float around if you dryhopp with them making a mess, they did with mine but some people dont seem to have that problem. I actually thought about adding some hops to a few bottles to see how much different it would be in taste or aroma. Like if a pellot would settle,im shure it would after being refrigerated.

I also like to use leaf hops due to how my system is set up (straining directly from the BK through a bazooka screen into a CFC), but when I have to use pellets due to availability, I throw them in a hop bag. No big deal then. :mug:

Get a chiller. Chill after the boil, let it settle for half an hour, and siphon into your fermenter.

See? No hop mess, no messing with strainers/filter/etc. Hooray beer!

Get a chiller. Chill after the boil, let it settle for half an hour, and siphon into your fermenter.

See? No hop mess, no messing with strainers/filter/etc. Hooray beer!

I do have a chiller and it all clumped together nice, but never thought to siphon it duh lol

Back