First beer brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvanconant

Reaction score
So my brew has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks now.
It's bubbling every 3 mins spot on right now.
Hoping to be able to bottle it in the next few days.

The anticipation kills me, where whiskey used to ferment in 7-14 days, beer is taking quite a bit longer.

Hoping for a decent turn out on my first beer brew.

Use your hydrometer to verify that the beer is done fermenting. I have one that has continued to ferment for a month as verified by a falling gravity reading. Take a hydrometer reading at least twice, 2 or 3 days apart to be sure that isn't happening to you.:rockin:

So my brew has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks now.
It's bubbling every 3 mins spot on right now.
Hoping to be able to bottle it in the next few days.

The anticipation kills me, where whiskey used to ferment in 7-14 days, beer is taking quite a bit longer.

Hoping for a decent turn out on my first beer brew.

What type of beer are your brewing? What temperature are you fermenting at? Seems odd that you're still seeing active fermentation for that long. For most ales, the 1-2-3 rule works (1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in bottle). Is this a lager?

What type of beer are your brewing? What temperature are you fermenting at? Seems odd that you're still seeing active fermentation for that long. For most ales, the 1-2-3 rule works (1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in bottle). Is this a lager?

I don't follow that rule at all, and wouldn't suggest anyone keep their yeast on a schedule like that. They work on their own time depending on the environment we give them to work in.

First primary of only one week sometimes will not get you to terminal gravity. I don't even check its gravity until the end of week two. And most times it is done then, some times its not.

Secondary in my opinion has no benefits unless you are 1) lagering, in which you want to get it off the yeast cake 2) adding some kind of flavoring i.e. cocoa nibs, fruit, etc. 3) going to bulk age for a period of time longer than 2 months. On most my ales I leave in primary for another week after the initial 2.

Three weeks in bottles is a good period of time, but I've had some perfectly carbed after only one week where others won't taste good for another month or two. But it is important to make sure you are at a stable gravity before bottling, so I check gravity again at the end of week three. If its the same I bottle, if its not I wait three more days and check again.

I like the simplicity of your 1-2-3 rule and once you get a recipe and fermenting profile down pat you may be able to find a yeast strain that works with all those variables and reculture it for future brews to make sure it behaves the same. But I never trust only time duration.

For the OP, seeing bubbles after fermentation has completed is perfectly normal. CO2 has disolved into solution and slowly degasses. You have to take a sample and test its gravity, then wait three days and test again. If it's the same, bottle on and enjoy!

An airlock is NOT a fermentation indicator it's a pressure release valve nothing more. If your brewing in a bucket the CO2 could easily be escaping around the lid and not out the airlock. The only way to really tell if it's done is with a gravity reading as suggested above.

Awesome thanks for the replies!
I'm about to do a gravity reading.
It's a lager.
It's sitting at 71 degrees.
I'll post results in just a bit.

Thanks again

Awesome thanks for the replies!
I'm about to do a gravity reading.
It's a lager.
It's sitting at 71 degrees.
I'll post results in just a bit.

Thanks again

If it's sitting at 71° in week 3 then it's not a lager. If you use lager yeast you want to ferment for around 2 weeks at 50-55°, then raise to high 60's for 2-3 days, then slowly drop temp to ~34° for 4-5 weeks. If it's a kit that calls it a "lager" it may actually use ale yeast in which 71° is probably still to high, mid 60's are better. If it is a lager yeast and fermented that high its called a "steam" style beer, but may not taste exactly like what you have in mind. I suggest reading Palmer's "How To Brew", may answer a lot of questions for you and help to understand the process of making beer and how it differs from your other hobby.

If it's sitting at 71° in week 3 then it's not a lager. If you use lager yeast you want to ferment for around 2 weeks at 50-55°, then raise to high 60's for 2-3 days, then slowly drop temp to ~34° for 4-5 weeks. If it's a kit that calls it a "lager" it may actually use ale yeast in which 71° is probably still to high, mid 60's are better. If it is a lager yeast and fermented that high its called a "steam" style beer, but may not taste exactly like what you have in mind. I suggest reading Palmer's "How To Brew", may answer a lot of questions for you and help to understand the process of making beer and how it differs from your other hobby.

Oh ok... So a steam style.
It's only 71 because that's the temp inside my house.

I actually seen that book in Rebel brewer today. I'll pick that up and give it a go.
Thanks for the replies!

My recipe called for a 1.015 gravity I was at 1.01 when I checked I earlier.
Should I go ahead and bottle it or do another reading in a few days?

Thanks again

I suggest a lot of reading. I too have made the transition from the other hobby you have, and thought it wouldn't be that bad. It seems making a good beer is much much harder than making a good whiskey. I have been doing tons and tons of reading, and feel I'm barely scratching the surface. The temps for ferment are far different here and are much cooler, and take much longer. But relying on your hydrometer remains the same. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to wait a how much moreew days and ill take another.
I actually found the book on amazon so I'm just going to get it on my phone.

Just reading more online today has shown me how much more beer takes. Gotta say though I love learning more about this hobby.

making beer is pretty simple but as you work to improve your beer you find that it can become quite complex. I'm loving the challenge to make really good beer.

Back