First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reapernazara

Reaction score
Started my first batch tonight, I have previously tried to make apple cider, succeeded in the alcohol department not so much in the taste department. Decided I would give mead a go as it seems hard to screw and I always wanted to try decent mead. I used 3 gal. of clover honey to for a 1 gal batch. SG-1.104, used wyeast liquid sweet mead yeast. Will this yield a sweet mead? Or must i stop fermentation a bit early for a sweet mead? When it comes to wine my wife and I prefer a not so sweet moscato and the like so I want this to turn out not dry and mildly sweet but not overly so.

I am also thinking about adding in 2 vanilla beans in secondary ferment, what do you guys think? Also if you have any other pointers or tips please share.

Sounds good so far. You may however want to throw in some yeast nutrient to help it along. Honey musts are pretty much void of nutrients that yeast need to complete a full ferment. Your batch may stall out early and cause problems otherwise.

I left that out in my post, but I put in 1/8 tsp nutrient, and then I will add at 1/3 and 2/3 sg. Sound like it will work ok that way?

Works! I think there is something about the yeast not utilizing as much after the 1/3 break but other homebrewers do it so who knows if they aren't having issues, you shouldn't either.

Latest posts

Back