first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
Hi all. long time beer drinker, first time home brewer. Started my first batch last saturday night and i have some questions. this may take a while so bear with me. Got a brew kit for Christmas and a Muntons wheat no boil (yeah I know but you gotta start somewhere). Was all excited to get started and didnt' take a starting gravity. After the batch was made and the yeast pitched, i got to thinking about how much corn sugar i put in, it called for 2.2lbs, didn't have a scale so I looked on the net to convert lbs to cups, and got varying answers from 4 to 7 1/2 so i used about 6 cups. I think this may have been too much but i'm not sure. Less than 12 hrs after pitching the yeast (which was rehydrated) I had some major fermenting going on, foam coming up thru the airlock, i put in a blow off tube and let it ride. i figured heavy fermentation is a good thing. Day 4 the bubbling had slowed enough to put the airlock back on and everything seems ok. Just wondering about the sugar. today is day 6 and the bubbling has slowed even more, probably still another couple days would be my guess, then i'll take a reading to see if ferm is complete. After all this my main worry is still the sugar, did i use too much if so, what can i do? rack into secondary and give it another few days? or just let it ride and hope for the best

I recently weighed some corn sugar on a very accurate scale (my reloading powder scale) to get the weight and volume comparisons. 3/4 cup was almost exactly 4 ounces of corn sugar. If I've done my math right your six cups should be exactly 2 pounds. You are right in the ballpark.

This was Carlsons sugar scooped out of a bag and scraped off in a 1/2 and 1/4 measuring cup, loosely scooped, not packed. Like you I tried to find the answer online and got a lot of different numbers. As far as I can tell a cup of corn sugar weight 5 1/3 ounces.

Let it ride. RDWHAH. Bottle after 2 or 3 weeks. It will be beer. Maybe a bit cidery. It's a start, I started at a similar point a year ago. Getting ready to do my first AG vanilla porter this weekend.

Great. I was really worried about that. I'm not expecting a great beer, just would like it to be not too bad. Like Bithead said, it will be beer. Thanks guys.

let it ride...........you'll be fine.......relax in a year you will be looking at these post and thinking about your first brew...........give it two weeks, bottle it up and see what you get.............start planning your next brew and have a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! remember........there are no mistakes only learning lessons

Back