First batch w/ pure O2 in a conical - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading off and on for years about using pure O2. I have seen tons of conflicting information.

I am brewing a batch soon (OG 1.054, 11 gallons) with WLP810 San Francisco Lager. I'll be doing a 4pack/3L starter for this batch.

I bought the O2 kit from Williams (this one), but have never used it.

Anyone have thoughts on how to use this in my conical? I have had some persistent issues with my conical that are making me feel like I am suffering from a lack of O2. Previously I used carboys, and could shake them. With the conical, everything is still.

I use that wand and it works great for me. My batches are fermenting out drier than they did before using O2, and that is comparing the same recipe. Granted, I have not done a split batch to compare.

Here's what I do: rinse and sanitize the wand thoroughly with StarSan. I mean pumping the sanitizer through so I know that it is soaking the sintered steel area as completely as possible. I use an in-line 0.2um filter as an added precaution. I stick the wand into the fermentor through the airlock hole, let it sit on the bottom. I connect all the tubing and then open up the regulator slowly until I see a lot of bubbles coming up, causing foam on the surface of the wort. Then I back off the O2 pressure until I can barely see any bubbles breaking the surface and start my timer. 30s to 60s depending on the gravity. Remove the wand, pitch yeast immediately and voila!

That works for me. I think some people suggest pitching beforehand.

Great, thank you! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for; a way to consistently do the same thing batch to batch, since this equipment has no way to set rate by a meter.

A couple of questions about your process:

- When you push starsan through the stone, I assume you're soaking it, filling the tube, and then using the oxygen flow to purge it through?
- Would you consider 1.054 to be closer to 30s or 60s?
- Are you doing 11 gallons into the fermenter?

I'll have to experiment over multiple batches of course, but this gives me a viable starting point that I didn't have before.

:mug:

I have the same wand and I soak in SS as well. I will also flame the stone for a little bit and then put back into SS and apply some air to it and let that soak in. Never had an issue so far but i do like the idea of pumping SS through it. Some people me included who have boiled the stone section of the wand as well.

A couple of questions about your process:

- When you push starsan through the stone, I assume you're soaking it, filling the tube, and then using the oxygen flow to purge it through?
- Would you consider 1.054 to be closer to 30s or 60s?
- Are you doing 11 gallons into the fermenter?

-Right, I didn't explain fully last time. I soak the whole thing and get a StarSan flow going through it. Then purge with the O2, insert into fermenter and oxygenate. Then I remove the wand, submerge it in water or StarSan, flowing some through so I don't get any sticky wort clogging the stone. I sometimes use only the StarSan soak and rinse for cleanup, but sometimes use Oxyclean solution. Always a final soak and rinse with DI water to prevent mineral buildup upon drying. I avoid boiling for the same reason.
-I go 30s with a 1.054 wort at around 60F. That's for a 5 gallon batch. Of course the solubility of the O2 will depend on temperature as well as gravity. Consistency will also depend on your pitching rate and the health of your yeast.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Sardoman: I'll be pitching at 62f. Since I'm doing 11 gallons instead of 5, should I double your exposure time, or do you think it's more complex than that?

Back