First batch, questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashbrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I just made my first batch, was excited to do it, but now confused also.

#1. I got the Brewers Best kit, German Oktoberfest, what exactly does steep mean? I was told like a tea bag, so i bobbed it up and down for 20 minutes in the pot. I saw a lot of particles in it, will all that stuff go to the bottom in time in the fermentor? I did not boil it either, but it took some time to get the temp to 160 not having the burner on high.

#2. I followed the instructions completely. Added syrup, waited for it to boil, added the bittering hops, cooked for 55 minutes then added the finishing hops for 5 minutes. I cooled the wort down, then added 3 gallons of cold water, like i was told to do from the HB Supply store. I think my floating thermometer is wrong, i was getting a reading of 50 degrees before i added the other 3 gallons, and a lot of steam was coming from it. After adding the water i put the hydrometer in it and got no reading at all. I do put the hydrometer right in the bucket to get a reading right? Before placing the lid on it? Isn't the silver stuff at the bottom of the hydrometer heat up then goes up the to make a reading? If so, mine did not. Was my wort too cold?

#3. The instructions said to sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort, stir, then place the lid on top with the airlock in place. Half filled with water, whch i did. On the yeast packet it said to heat it up first etc.

Sorry for all the questions guys, i am excited to get started in this but have a lot of questions. Please give me some advice and if everything i did sounded the right way or not. I did sanitize everything before i started too. My main concern is the hydrometer and why i couldn't get it to do anything. Thanks in advance for reading this long post and your help.

To read a hydrometer you float it in the sample (or the bucket in your case) and look at the scale right at the water line...nothing inside the hydrometer moves like in a thermometer.

Nashbrew said:
Hello,
I just made my first batch, was excited to do it, but now confused also.

I see that. :D

Nashbrew said:
#1. I got the Brewers Best kit, German Oktoberfest, what exactly does steep mean? I was told like a tea bag, so i bobbed it up and down for 20 minutes in the pot. I saw a lot of particles in it, will all that stuff go to the bottom in time in the fermentor? I did not boil it either, but it took some time to get the temp to 160 not having the burner on high.

You did the steeping correctly. You can either put it in the water cold and slowly bring it up to temp and hold there for 20-30 minutes or heat the water up to temp and then add the bag of grains and steep for 20-30 minutes.

Nashbrew said:
#2. I followed the instructions completely. Added syrup, waited for it to boil, added the bittering hops, cooked for 55 minutes then added the finishing hops for 5 minutes. I cooled the wort down, then added 3 gallons of cold water, like i was told to do from the HB Supply store. I think my floating thermometer is wrong, i was getting a reading of 50 degrees before i added the other 3 gallons, and a lot of steam was coming from it. After adding the water i put the hydrometer in it and got no reading at all. I do put the hydrometer right in the bucket to get a reading right? Before placing the lid on it? Isn't the silver stuff at the bottom of the hydrometer heat up then goes up the to make a reading? If so, mine did not. Was my wort too cold?

No, that's not the way a hydrometer works. The best way to do a hydrometer reading is to put some wort in a tall glass and then place the hydrometer in it. It will float at a level and your read the number at the level it floats at. If you have a tripple scale hydrometer, the numbers you're looking for are the ones that read. 1.000, 1.010, 1.020, 1.030, 1.040, 1....... you get the idea. Hold the glass up at eye level with the hydrometer floating and read the float level number. That's your OG. When it stops fermenting, you do it again taking care to spin the hydrometer to get rid of the bubbles clinging to it. This is your FG. With these two numbers you can calculate the alcohol content.

Nashbrew said:
#3. The instructions said to sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort, stir, then place the lid on top with the airlock in place. Half filled with water, whch i did. On the yeast packet it said to heat it up first etc.

That's right, you don't want to temp shock your yeast.

Definition: What is steeping?
The soaking barley or wheat in water to begin germination in the malting process. Steeping barley provides the moisture required for seed growth. The term steeping also refers to the practice of crushing and immersing specialty grains in the brewing kettle prior to producing wort with malt extract.

The second portion is what you are trying to accomplish.

El Pistolero said:
To read a hydrometer you float it in the sample (or the bucket in your case) and look at the scale right at the water line...nothing inside the hydrometer moves like in a thermometer.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am definately a newbie as you can see. Thanks.

ScottT said:
I see that. :D

You did the steeping correctly. You can either put it in the water cold and slowly bring it up to temp and hold there for 20-30 minutes or heat the water up to temp and then add the bag of grains and steep for 20-30 minutes.

No, that's not the way a hydrometer works. The best way to do a hydrometer reading is to put some wort in a tall glass and then place the hydrometer in it. It will float at a level and your read the number at the level it floats at. If you have a tripple scale hydrometer, the numbers you're looking for are the ones that read. 1.000, 1.010, 1.020, 1.030, 1.040, 1....... you get the idea. Hold the glass up at eye level with the hydrometer floating and read the float level number. That's your OG. When it stops fermenting, you do it again taking care to spin the hydrometer to get rid of the bubbles clinging to it. This is your FG. With these two numbers you can calculate the alcohol content.

That's right, you don't want to temp shock your yeast.
Thanks for your help Scott. I feel stupid now asking about the hydrometer, but hey, i didn't know so had to ask. About the yeast, i did what the instructions said with the kit, sprinkled it on top and stirred. Will that be ok or will my batch be bad now? Should i always heat it up first from now on? I guess if i see bubbles within the next 24 hours it is working right. Thanks.

You're yeast will probably be OK. You should see activity within the first 24 hours as long your wort was cooled down to below 80 degrees before adding it.

If your wort was too hot, the yeast may have been killed. If you don't see foaming on top within 24 hours, add some more yeast. It's only like $1 per pack, heck add two.

Back