first batch potential problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe61

Reaction score
I am hesitant to post this here. My local store gave me advice, and after reading various things on this forum I am pretty sure I already know the answer.

But what the heck... I'll ask anyway. :)

Brewing my first batch. A Brewer's Best Dunkelweisen extract kit. Followed instructions to the letter. Brewing in a bucket with sealed lid and 3-piece airlock.

My OG was 1.052. Recipe range stated 1.049-1.053 so I was within limits.

Wort was cooled to 70F when I took OG reading and then pitched yeast. Did not "start" yeast. Directions specifically stated "do NOT" rehydrate yeast.

Fermenter placed in basement. Ambient temp was 60F. When wort cooled to 66F, I changed the room thermostat to 63F. Temp range in the recipe is 64-72F. I went with 63 expecting fermentation temp to be higher and wanted to keep things at the lower end of the range.

At 24 hours in fermenter, the wort was at 66F and there were bubbles in the airlock. (a big one about every 30 seconds).

At 36 hours, wort was at 67F with same bubble activity in airlock. Wort temp rose to 67F

At 48 hours wort temp was down to 65F with no airlock activity. I set room thermostat to 65F.

Since then, both room and wort temp are about 65-66F. No airlock activity.

It has been eight days. I know many here would recommend leaving things alone. However, as the directions indicate this should be "done" I opened the top and took a hydrometer reading. No krausen present, but there was a "ring" around the sides indicating that there was krausen at some point.

Hydrometer reads 1.023 after eight days. FG should be (per recipe) 1.012-1.015.

FWIW, sample tasted decent - a little sweet and a little weak IMO. Being my first batch, I have nothing to compare to.

I understand the airlock is not an accurate indicator of activity. I added that info just for reference. Based on the reading, however, this is not ready for bottling. Given the start as expected, I am wondering what is going on after eight days.

Is this normal? Do I have a potential problem? Should I be doing something, or just leave things for another few (or more) days?

It's possibly the "extract curse". Some tend to peter out around 1.020. Possible solutions are gently rousing the yeast to get them back in suspension and moving the beer somewhere warmer (70°F or so) to give the yeast the best chance of waking up & being fully active.

You could be fine, yeast will sometimes get finicky and not adhere to your schedule, they may just be taking their time. HOWEVER if I was in your situation I would run to the local homebrew supply store (LHBS) and buy another packet of dry yeast ( Hell I'd buy 2) and pitch them in, it can't hurt.

Good call on recognizing that bubbles in an airlock doesn't necessarily monitor fermentation.

I didn't see it was an extract, as stated above many extract kits stall at 1.020 (however 1.023 seems quite high).

It is too early to be sure that you are done just from airlock activity, especially because your gravity is above your target. (1.053 down to 1.023 is only 55% attenuation). Wait a couple of days and take another sample. You also might want to try warming it up a bit. If it is still at 1.023 then it may in fact be done.

What yeast did you use?

I don't know. Sure seems like junk to me. I think the batch it ruined. Best advice I can give you is to let it sit another few days, maybe pitch another packet of yeast, and then send it to me. I have a pretty awesome beer disposal business I have been perfecting for 15 years.

LHBS recommended letting it sit a few more days. They cautiously said I could give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast. I am sure they were concerned about introduction of oxygen from too much stirring.

I did a gentle stir and resealed the lid. I also plan to raise the room temp. Would 70F be okay?

As much as i thought I documented everything, I did not write down the name of the yeast in the kit. It was a dry yeast package and the name started with "W." I only just realized the instruction sheet did not specify the name.

Aristotelian wrote that it may actually be done at 1.023. If I still get the same reading in a few days, is it actually done? I absolutely want to avoid the possibility of bottle bombs. :)

I don't know. Sure seems like junk to me. I think the batch it ruined. Best advice I can give you is to let it sit another few days, maybe pitch another packet of yeast, and then send it to me. I have a pretty awesome beer disposal business I have been perfecting for 15 years.

I have been running a similar business for several years... albeit with commercial brewery beer. If there's going to be any disposal of beer I brew, I have first dibs. :)

But I appreciate the generous offer. :mug:

Back