first batch of peach wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachwine1

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just made my first batch of peach wine.

2 cans (big) of sliced peaches
2lbs of sugar
3/4 gallon of water
And 1 1/2 tblsp of red star dry active yeast.

Thats the recipe im using. Im just now getting into wine and I think this will turn out pretty good. Basically I sterilized everything, then added mashed up peaches and juice, added sugar then added warm water til it was 3 inches from the top and then pitched the yeast. I didnt wait maybe 10 min. Will it affect anything? Thanks!

It shouldn't matter, just make sure that you are fermenting at the right temperature. I've heard that most people use peach juice from concentrate, but I think fresh is also a possibility.

Be sure to let it ferment completely in both the first and secondary fermenting stages and you can also carbonate it if you so choose.

Looks like a great recipe and I hope it turn out well.

Cheers!

Update;; so its been 5 hours since I added the yeast, I also noted it was 73°f when I added the yeast. I went and chwcked on it just now and it wasnt bubbling so, I took off the lid and there wasnt much head space removed some fruit and now its bubblin away! Looks good so far, thanks!!

Just a lil question.. I switched primary fermenters today. I didnt have enough room in the first, so I just poured it all over into another container and topped off with warm water. Its still bubbling and rather fast at that. Will It harm it by doing that?

With wine you need to leave a little more room then normal, and lose the airlock for about the first week. Most people rubber band a napkin to the top of it until the initial fermentation has been completed, otherwise you'll blow your airlock. Also, it's typically not advised to "pour" anything that has already begun fermentation, although with wines there is a bit of room to allow oxygen into the mix if it is still early in the game. Your biggest mistake, which you'll get better at with time, is you chose to poke and prod and investigate your batch. Just make it, and leave it alone until you need to do additions or what-not. If you're playing with it after five hours, you're already messing up.

Just don't touch it anymore, and read as much of HBT stickies and FAQs as you possibly can.

Then continue to not touch your batch.

So far the only thing ive been doin is pushin the fruit down, like instructed. This shouldnt hurt it though. Should it?

it dosn't hurt to give it a good stir every day for the first few days the in primary fermentation the yeast need o2 to reproduce. get a hydrometer and check the specific grav, when it gets down to 1.020 or 1.010 then rack to a carboy and air lock and leave alone. keep checking the sg when it drops below 1.000 and remains stable for 3 days your wine is fully fermented. thenafter a week or so rack off the lees to a fresh carboy and let it clear with peach it may take a while

jim

Latest posts

Back