First batch kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruinpilot

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice. I just did my first batch of beer (all grain). I know that you are not supposed to start that way but I was more interested in mashing than any other step of the process save excep drinking... Anyway my recipe that I go from my local homebrew store told me I would get an original gravity or 1.047. After the boil I checked my gravity and I got 1.043. I am sure that my first time mash/spare was to blame. I wonder if this will be a problem. Also I was supposed to have a 5 gallon batch. I had about 6 at the end of mashing/lautering so I didn't add an extra gallon that my recipe called for. I ended up with only 4.5 gallons after the boil. Oh well, I hope it doesn't ruin my first batch but I am trying to make only cheaper simpler recipes until I really learn the ropes...

I was also wondering if the primary purpose of boiling the wort is to remove water and thereby raise the gravity, or just to infuse the hops.

Thanks for the info. I'm a new guy here.

Sounds like you did pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are certainly things to learn along the way, and I'm certain you will get there...just stick around HBT.

Starting AG is not wrong. Neither is starting all extract. You made beer, regardless of the method, so you are A-OK in my book.

The purpose if the boil is for the hops.

This is so exciting!! Only about 20 hours later and I had bubbles at the airlock! 24 hours and it is bubbling vigorously! I want to do a secondary ferment in a carboy and I was wondering if there are any rules of thumb as to when to do this. The books I have read are not very specific here. One doesn't mention it at all, the other is vague stating after about a week or when the airlock is not bubbling so vigorously. I am at the hog range for the temp. The yeast says 65-72. I'd say the inside of my home is about 68-75 this time of year.

Also I previously asked about the boil and I was told it is only for the hops. I have a medium hopped batch going now, but I have a friend who hates hops and has asked me to produce him an unhopped beer since I am learning I brew. I think a low hopped might be a better idea, but if one were to make an in hopped beer would you just go straight from mashing/lautering into the fermenter?

Thanks again for the good info! This first batch is so exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First, 68-75 is a little warm for an ambient temp. Keep in mind that fermentation is exothermic and it will heat itself up. Google "swamp cooler" for a cheap temp control option - basically a tub of water for a heat sink. Add ice/ frozen water bottles when necessary.

Second - unhopped beer. Technically speaking, I'm not sure it is beer without hops, but regardless I don't think it would be good. You need a little bit of bitterness to counter the sweetness of the malt. But you can certainly brew a low-hopped beer that is malt forward. Just minimize hops late in the boil (maybe even zero) and don't use a lot early (maybe half an ounce to an ounce for 45-60 minutes). If there is a certain type of beer that your friend likes, let us know and we can propose a recipe.

Regarding no hop "beer" - you would still have to boil to sterilize. It turns out grain is absolutely crawling with bacteria and it is not killed during the relatively cool mashing process. If you did make an unhopped beer, you would have to at least bring it to a boil (or above 170 or so) to kill the bacterial. Again - I don't recommend it. Unless you like sour beers, which some people do. But going straight from mash to fermenter would basically guarantee infection.

As best I can gauge my friend's favorite is Coldsmoke from Kettlehouse in Montana, which tastes like zero hops to me. I believe that the style is English bitter or Scottish brown ale but I am not entirely sure... I was thinking possibly use a small amount of hops to counter the sweetness and just some extra malt to make it taste hearty?

As for the cooler, I have been on the lookout for a cheap mini fridge on Craigslist to turn into a fermentation chamber. Haven't found one for this batch, but hopefully for the next one!

As best I can gauge my friend's favorite is Coldsmoke from Kettlehouse in Montana, which tastes like zero hops to me. I believe that the style is English bitter or Scottish brown ale but I am not entirely sure... I was thinking possibly use a small amount of hops to counter the sweetness and just some extra malt to make it taste hearty?

As for the cooler, I have been on the lookout for a cheap mini fridge on Craigslist to turn into a fermentation chamber. Haven't found one for this batch, but hopefully for the next one!

Based on information from their website, coldsmoke is a scotch ale. With only 11 IBU and 6.5 ABV (so roughly 1.065 OG), I'd say that is definitely on the sweeter, low hop side. I would check the style guidelines for a scotch ale and input a recipe into a calculator based on those numbers. Maybe check the HBT recipes section for a baseline scotch ale recipe and start from there, then tailor the recipe to your numbers. Good luck.

I just racked my first batch over to the secondary! It looked and smelled awesome!! I checked my gravity and it has dropped to 1.011 from 1.043. The final gravity is what was recommended in the recipe, so just how long should I leave in the secondary? Just enough to clarify it? Thanks!

2+ weeks in most cases. You'll eventually learn that the more patience you can have, and the longer you can wait, the better the beer will turn out. You can drink it a few weeks after you brew it, but it'll taste a whole lot better a few months after you brew it.

I've been homebrewing for a few years now, but I just did my first all-grain yesterday and it was also a Kolsch! My OG was supposed to be 1.045-1.05 and I ended up having 1.045, so you sound like you're pretty much dead on.

I think the biggest problem I'm going to have (and you as well) is that Kolsches are supposed to be one of the clearest beers out there! *nervous*

Mine is not clear at all, but only a week old. We'll just keep our fingers crossed!! I'm sure it will taste great anyways!

I just racked it to the secondary and put it in my new fermentation chamber (just got it yesterday!). I read that the kolsch yeast had some lagering characteristics for an ale yeast, so I dropped the temp to 50. (The range on the wyeast package called for 65-72.) I read somewhere that kolsch likes the cool secondary, but maybe not as fully cool as a true lager. Do you think 50 is good or should I go cooler? I am planning on leaving it in the secondary for about 14 days before priming and bottling. Thanks

Back