First batch is fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvaughn

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm another new home brewer here in Houston, TX. A week or so ago I bought the 1 gallon starter kit from Northern Brewer with the Irish Red Ale. Everything went fine during the brew day yesterday. I tried to be as conscientious as I could with cleanliness and sanitizing so hopefully I don't have any bad bugs in the batch. This kit had steeping grains and then dry malt extract with Willamette hop pellet additions.

I went to bed satisfied to see a foam appearing on the top of the batch. When I checked it this morning the airlock was overflowing and I could hear a lot of bubbling happening. I cleaned the airlock, sanitized, and put it back in place. Luckily I had the 1 gallon jug sitting in a bathtub so the spillover wasn't on tile or carpet. Next time I'll run a line from the lid to a spillover bucket for the first day, then put the airlock on.

This evening the bubbling has started to slow. I've set the fermenter in a cooler full of water to help maintain constant temp. It is sitting at 68F right now which is down from 74F. I wish I had kept it at a constant 68F all along. My OG was right around 1060.

Can't wait to taste a sample when I bottle it!

Back