First batch / Hydrometer query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I'm making my first batch of red wine: Blackberry, raspberry and a handful of sultanas. I'm really enjoying learning about the whole process of wine making. After a week of primary fermentation, the mix has been in the demijohn for 3 weeks now, and if I understand correctly, I'm due to do the first racking to take off the sediment in about a week (or when the bubbling in the air lock stops, right?).

I've been reading about the Hydrometer and understand that if I take a reading now/in a week/whenever I can determine the specific gravity. However, I didn't take a reading at the start - so this means I can't do the sums to work out the achohol content. Is it still worth taking a reading?

One last question - when I do the first rack (when the bubbling stops) I was planning on adding some Campden tablets (I've not added any yet) but I understand this will stop any more alchohol being produced. However, this will be okay as by the time the bubbling stops I understand that that part of the process has already run its course and no alchohol is being produced. Does this sound right?

Any help most appreciated.

Ross

At this point, with fermentation likely already finished, taking a hydrometer reading wouldn't hurt, but it would only tell you roughly how much sugar remains in the wine, if any.

Adding campden tablets now can help slow the yeast down, but it wont necessarily stop them permanently. An added feature of campden tablets is that they can help add free SO2 to the wine, helping to stabilize it against oxidation when stored.

Back