First Batch/Glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gover151

Reaction score
So I just did my first batch of beer which leads to my first post, a coopers IPA kit, using the equipment I was lent from a neighbour. Since there are so many opinions/option on how to ferment, etc thought I would jump right in with what I had available and see how it works.

So I mixed it up in the bucket, added dry malt (sanitized everything) got it to about 22-23 degrees and added the yeast, stirred it in a bit.

since I have a glass carboy I figured I'd use that to ferment and syphoned into that right away, put on the airlock/cap, covered with a blanket and now its sitting in my kitchen which is usually around 18 degrees.

So now for the questions, the first one being that how can I get a sample to use my hydrometer without breaking the airlock? is it that important I don't mind leaving it a bit longer, say two weeks to ensure proper fermentation, is there anything wrong with leaving it too long.

Also I want to add sugar when I bottle, so do I need to pick up a bottling bucket to add the sugar to, or can I mix the sugar mixture into the carboy before I bottle and syphon from there.

I did read through this forum quite a bit and looked for the best ways to do this but got information overload.

I'm also wondering if I should even bother with the glass carboy for brewing with a kit, or just get a plastic bucket with a spigot and be done with it.

Any tips/suggestion or things to look for are appreciated.

Ok, to get a sample, get a thief... They are great for taking samples to take reading and have small tastes.
There is nothing wrong with leaving it to long in the carboy. After a month to 6 weeks, I would transfer it to a secondary to get it off of the yeast cake, and that is highly scrutinized.
I would HIGHLY recommend getting a bottling bucket. It makes it so easy to bottle and add the priming sugar. You want to avoid getting oxygen to your beer, so since you are fermenting in a carboy, there is no way to really stir in the carboy without shaking, and that is a big no-no.
I personally prefer glass carboys. They last longer as long as you don't break them. plastic buckets need to be replaced once a year and can't be scrubbed. You must use chemicals to clean them. Same with Better Bottles. Any scratches in a plastic is a great place for bacteria to reside and ruin batches of beer. However, I got a buddy who swears by Better Bottles since he just went through 3 hand surgeries after breaking a glass carboy, and slicing tendons and nerves in one of his hands. It's really up to you. There are pro's and con's to both plastic buckets, plastic Better Bottles, and glass carboys...

I siphon a little off for my OG then the rest into the carboy. I then wait about 4 weeks and use a sanitized turkey baster to get enough to check my FG. No worries if you break the airlock there is enough CO2 on the top to keep anything from getting in. Just make sure that what ever you use to collect the wort is sanitized. It is best to siphon the wort off of the trub before bottling, whether that is into a bottling bucket or some other vessel is up to you.

OK, thanks for the replies. So sounds like I should be Ok, do many people brew this way? By this way I mean straight from mixing to a glass carboy. I can grab a bottling bucket if that is the way to go, in the meantime I'll just keep reading the forums here for advice/tips.

also I have a book, called brewing beers like you but, by Dave Line, anyone use this?

Back